Question For Very Experienced Mobile developers.

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:36 am

Hi. I would like to ask you to list every single Construct 2 behaviour or event sheet condition and action that kills mobile performance and if possible its workaround.

I have a game which has very poor performance on xdk. So i need to learn , we all newbies need to know what not to use and what is the best alternative.

For example; Action WAIT x seconds , every tick , Physics, and so on. This would be very usefull for all of us i hope. Thank you very much for your help.

jay
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi, Im a bit experienced with mobile. I wont list everything you want but will point you to where you can find it:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/298/performance-tips-for-mobile-games
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/577/construct-2s-export-time-optimisations
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1300/tips-to-reduce-the-download-size

Start with these, there are many others. Just use the search on tutorials and Forums with keywords: mobile optimization, XDK, Cocoonjs etc.

Also Cocoonjs is faster than XDK from what I've read.
ImageImage
B
S

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:40 pm

thank you
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:53 pm

Rotating objects frequently (rotate behavior or setting angle every tick) is one that doesn't show up in that list, but it can really slow things down, especially if you are rotating large objects.

Also, the current 'stable' of crosswalk supported by xdk (v10) is a godawful mess that looks terrible at anything less than 60fps; if you really care about perf, use v7 instead. Just be aware that google may remove your app at some nebulous point in the future. :roll:
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:14 pm

@TiAm

Does setting an object position every tick cause performance slow downs?
Because I've got about 3-5 objects permanently being set to the position of another object every tick.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:28 pm

@Nesteris you want to avoid every tick whenever possible so just try keeping it to a minimum.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:53 pm

@volkiller730

Would using the pin behaviour be the same performance wise?
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:22 pm

@Nesteris,

Actually I wouldn't worry at all about most Every Tick events. The biggest source of slowdown on mobile is related to graphics, not logic. Unless you've got some hardcore physics calculations happening (EDIT: or insanity with loops, and other serious logic slowdown issues, anything way out of the ordinary), forget optimization and just make sure your code is organized and pleasing to the eye. Setting A equal to B every tick has practically zero impact on performance. Ashley has addressed this on his blog. If you haven't already, read it and feel relieved.

https://www.scirra.com/blog/83/optimisa ... -your-time

The best advice is to periodically export the game and check its performance on mobile. That way, if you made a change that breaks performance, you can re-evaluate your approach.

Also, CocoonJS Canvas+ is the best export option when it comes to performance, there's no doubt about it. Because it's a "non-browser engine", Ashley doesn't like to promote it, otherwise users complain about Construct 2 being flawed when there are compatibility issues. The truth is that CocoonJS Canvas+ is WAY better performance-wise than Crosswalk, especially when it comes to twitch-based action games with lots of movement in them. So forget compatibility. If you are developing strictly for mobile, and CocoonJS Canvas+ works for you, then develop to export through it, and you'll get much higher quality results than Crosswalk.
Last edited by Dalal on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:28 pm

@Dalal

I'm exporting to Desktop solely, at least for now.

Thanks for the info that Every Tick events don't take much. but now I have two people saying two different things.

The biggest source of slowdown on mobile is related to graphics, not logic. Unless you've got some hardcore physics calculations happening, forget optimization and just make sure your code is organized and pleasing to the eye. Setting A equal to B every tick has practically zero impact on performance. Ashley has addressed this on his blog. Read it and feel relieved.

Great to know. This is the same for desktop, yes?
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:38 pm

TiAm wrote:Rotating objects frequently (rotate behavior or setting angle every tick) is one that doesn't show up in that list, but it can really slow things down, especially if you are rotating large objects.

so Nate goes and makes a game where almost *every* object constantly rotates... :mrgreen:
Made Cosmochoria - www.cosmochoria.com
Currently working on Slayaway Camp - www.slayawaycamp.com
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General