[Question] Is Construct2 capable of ___ ?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:35 pm

nimos100 wrote:
3) Populating text for in-game displays (e.g. messageboxes) from a .txt/.xls/etc "master" file (rather than text being entered individually per-messagebox)

There are several ways you can do this, some which have already been suggested. But also there are stuff like arrays, dictionaries etc. That you can use to populate message boxes and just add certain conditions to how and what to load.

8) I'm putting this at 8 because it isn't about what C2 can do as much as it is about organization within C2. I saw a topic that said branching stories are a pain to create in C2 because of interface limitations....

The tools for working on big projects are somewhat limited. Not meaning you cant do it, just that you have to be very organized yourself as things can easily get messy. And not having the best tools for navigating around loads chunk of events etc. Can make you have to spend a bit of time finding things. However improvements have been made so its getting slightly better, but at the moment I don't think its at a point where I would say that its very good for big projects, more that its possible depending on your own effort of organisation within your project.

This is crucial for me, as conditional dialogue trees are the most important element of the vast majority of game concepts that I have.

C2 is very flexible regarding how you want to do things, but there are no build-in functionality that does this for you in an easy way. But you can make one yourself by clever design of your program. At least if I understand you correctly, so you should be able to make a good system for handling such thing. I would be surprised if you couldn't, due to C2 at least.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like C2 would let me get something up and running faster than Unity, and is capable of everything that I want to do - it just will come down to how I choose to implement things.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks for the information. It sounds like C2 would let me get something up and running faster than Unity, and is capable of everything that I want to do - it just will come down to how I choose to implement things.

I have only tried unity a few times, so whether its faster for someone that knows how to use it, I don't know. But at least to me it a lot more confusing and so many small settings you have to change and in general I don't really like Unity user interface, think its a bit messy. But since I like making 3d, the 3d capabilities of Unity is what makes me try it once in a while...with no progress :D

But you are correct that C2 is very fast to do things in. If you get a hold of just the basic idea of how it is structured, you can make things extremely fast, which at least for me is one of the reasons I enjoy using it, and also because I actually think some of the best games ever made are 2D/Isometric games, so the fancy 3D graphics are not that important. For instant Minecraft is probably the best 3d if not best game ever made I think and its graphic is not exactly top notch, but guess that's a matter of taste :D
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General