[Question] Is Phonegap relatively as fast as IntelXDK?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • I have never used phonegap before for building C2 games. Since IntelXDK is planning to drop support for Cordova, i would also like to plan my future build options.

So have anyone of you guys tried building c2 games using phonegap? Is it good? In a scale of 1 to 10, what would you rate phonegap ? And adding Cons and Pros would also be helpful. Thanks.

• I don't think Intel actually said they will drop Cordova, they are just shifting their focus.

Performance with PhoneGap should be identical, since it's the browser engine that determines the performance, the build system just assembles the files. Personally I find it easier than the Intel XDK, since once it's configured with your certificates, you just upload a zip and it gives you back an .ipa and .apk.

• I have never used phonegap before for building C2 games. Since IntelXDK is planning to drop support for Cordova, i would also like to plan my future build options.

So have anyone of you guys tried building c2 games using phonegap? Is it good? In a scale of 1 to 10, what would you rate phonegap ? And adding Cons and Pros would also be helpful. Thanks.

Did you finally use phonegap?

I have no idea how to use it, intel XDK does not work when using an appodeal repository:

https://github.com/appodeal/Appodeal-Ph ... plugin.git

It just keeps loading and never ends, it's frustrating.

• Did you finally use phonegap?

I have no idea how to use it, intel XDK does not work when using an appodeal repository:

https://github.com/appodeal/Appodeal-Ph ... plugin.git

It just keeps loading and never ends, it's frustrating.

Unfortunately... No. I didn't try since it's a paid subscription for big games and it's not worth the cost.

I think in your case would be dependent on the compatibility of the library to the builder.

But with enough research you might find your answer in making it work on IntelXDK.

Or you can try Phonegap to waste no time but there are limitations to a free user.

You should try it yourself to find out.

• The truth is that this does not look very good.

• XDK changes its focus, I have faults with it, it does not work well for me
    • PhoneGap only 1 project of 50mb max.
    • Cocoon 2 projects in free account, no crosswalk, with spashscreen

I've already been able to compile on phonegap but the first thing I've seen has been a bug in my android 4.2 with "On touched"

• I've already been able to compile on phonegap but the first thing I've seen has been a bug in my android 4.2 with "On touched"

It could be worse on IntelXDK. Since it's an old device based on the android version it won't really affect the major number of users, i bet the touch could work well in android 4.4 + .

Though the size limit is the problem for free users.

• Just FYI.

Ive been messing around with PhoneGap Build and Cocoon.io today producing android apks of the same build

Without a doubt Cocoon.io is really boosting the performance (when you use the canvas+ option) of my game to the point that it is performing even better than when hosting native html/js over lan.

Where I am seeing 30-40 FPS on PhoneGap and 50 FPS on Native over LAN, I am seeing 55-60 FPS with Cocoon.io

I am super impressed and excited by it.....

Post edited to correct cocoon js to io

• Just FYI.

Ive been messing around with PhoneGap Build and CocoonJS today producing android apks of the same build

Without a doubt CoccoonJS is really boosting the performance (when you use the canvas+ option) of my game to the point that it is performing even better than when hosting native html/js over lan.

Where I am seeing 30-40 FPS on PhoneGap and 50 FPS on Native over LAN, I am seeing 55-60 FPS with CocoonJS

That's weird... Cocoon.JS should be very slow compared to phonegap/IntelXDK for incompatibility issues and depreciation reasons. Unless you meant Cocoon.IO instead of Cocoon.JS .

But can you provide data and proof? With these covered.

Sorry but it's hard to trust people nowadays, some just make stuff up. So a proof will settle this.

• Phone Android or IOS? (I'm assuming android right?)
    • OS Version
    • Game Description
    • Game Size
    • Game Memory Usage
    • Proof of performance difference
    • Anything else that is helpful

Thanks. Your data will help us know the ideal builder.

Especially that i have encountered many disadvantages with Cocoon. And also with the fact that Ashley just said this recently on an interview.

In the early days we had a lot of trouble getting our engine to work with their non-browser engine. These were always really hard work so eventually we deprecated them all in favour of real browser engines. Eventually Ludei announced pricing which cost something like $500 to remove a splash screen. I think they are going after a different market. For C2 users that's way too expensive. Since then I've just focused on the Intel XDK and PhoneGap Build.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Very sorry. Yes cocoon.io. Not js.

Giving super performance compared to phonegapbuild

If I've got time I will do a video comparison with fps counters. However I must state that I am a total noob to all this so there may be settings etc I am doing wrong.

Ps yes I read the interview which is why I was giving pgb a whirl.

• Just FYI.

Ive been messing around with PhoneGap Build and Cocoon.io today producing android apks of the same build

Without a doubt Cocoon.io is really boosting the performance (when you use the canvas+ option) of my game to the point that it is performing even better than when hosting native html/js over lan.

Where I am seeing 30-40 FPS on PhoneGap and 50 FPS on Native over LAN, I am seeing 55-60 FPS with Cocoon.io

Post edited to correct cocoon js to io

I assume you are using the stable version 239?

I am using r240 C2 and this one has a problem in cocoon io, black screen using canvas +, this is still not fixed in cocoon io !.

• Yes Done with 239

• Very sorry. Yes cocoon.io. Not js.

Giving super performance compared to phonegapbuild

If I've got time I will do a video comparison with fps counters. However I must state that I am a total noob to all this so there may be settings etc I am doing wrong.

Ps yes I read the interview which is why I was giving pgb a whirl.

Ahh, ok. The last time i used cocoon.io , i was very dissapointed. But i'll give it a shot again.

• PhoneGap build version video

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6AQ9znz3zwxT3hUb2wwS1o3OEk

Cocoon.io build video

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6AQ9znz3zwxNThJWmZwU251MzQ

running on xperia z1 compact

higher fps and processor in cocoon.io build.

no comments on the game I'm bit embarrassed to show considering some of the quality you guys are producing! I'm just learning, still struggling with touch controls. in fact the cocoon.io build is flicking the ship up to the top from time to time hasen't happened anywhere else.

• It has very good graphing and performance also seems to work very well in cocoon.

• FYI.

The videos make things look more choppy than they are.

The cocoon.io build is exceptionally smooth and will stay around 59/60 even under heavy load without the phone screen recorder running. They appear to have implemented some very effective acceleration that is not present elsewhere.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)