Questions regarding optimizing a scene.

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:22 pm

So I got this layout with about 4000 objects in it. Naturally it runs a bit more unstable than other layouts. However far from 4k objects are on the screen at any given time. I'm planning on optimizing the scene, and I'm wondering if I can expect any performance boost by turning off collisions and visibility on objects outside of the screen? I've already done experiments with only making animations play on assets within a certain radius, which have shown good results.
B
S

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:30 pm

turning off collisions of objects outside of the rendered space will increase performance. Changing their visibility will do nothing.
Nothing goes unanswered!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:50 pm

I did some tests of that. Constantly turning on and off collisions for sprites out of screen gave me a little bit of stuttering on mobile. On desktop I didn't notice anything. Could be that my scrolling was not using dt. But in general frame rate went up a bit and cpu went down. For Visibility I'm not sure. Easy to test though. Is not on screen. Visibility off, - Is on screen. Visibility on.

While picking from many objects i found out that some ways to pick are better than others. A bit more info in this thread.
https://www.scirra.com/forum/picking-performance-test_t178183
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General