Hell of a Golfer - Beta 3.0 now available to play! [8/17/18]

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Best soundtracks for any game. High quality and engaging assets.
  • Hell of a Golfer

*Update 8/17*

Beta 3.0 is out there now. I'm not sure what's going on with the Scirra Arcade, seems glitchy at times, so, for now, I have the game up on the Newgrounds website. There are 4 full levels and a lot of new upgrades to gameplay and mechanics. I think I need to get the sound design going next as any game can get dry with only silence to listen to. ;) Here's the link, You will need to have/make a Newgrounds account to play, but it's easy and fast.

newgrounds.com/portal/view/715451

*Update 5/31*

Looks like we migrated... ;) I just updated the original post to take out all the deprecated code and still getting to know this new UI. I have the next beta 99% ready to upload, but I'm not sure if an arcade of our creations is offered anymore. I'll keep poking around, bb soon.

*Update 3/27*

Slowly, but surely, progress is being made behind the curtain here. My next manageable milestone is close to completion. I will be adding three new golf holes (hole: 2,3, & 4) to the Devil's golf course very soon. I've also been fine tuning game mechanics and squashing bugs. Plus, I added a new feature so when the ball is hit, the camera follows it down the course, then, once the ball comes to rest, the camera pans back, and follows the player. I'm sure the players will appreciate that addition. All coming soon!

*Update 2/24*

It took some time, but beta Ver.2.2 is live. I really needed to redo my gameplay instructions. Now, instead of reading static screens about how to play, you get to play through a fun tutorial! More levels are on the way, and soon we'll have an 18 hole golf course in Hell in business! Please play and support! Thanks!

Game Backstory:

You are the best golfer in the world, and everyone knows it. Your trophies, green jackets, endorsements, cash, and babes are piled up around you, and life couldn't be better! Until one day, the devil catches wind of your accomplishments and summons you to hell. In a very Devil Went Down to Georgia-ish scene, he questions your title as, the best golfer since you have never played the most challenging golf course in existence... his own.

Now you have to play this hell of a course and beat the devil at his own game. If you win, you get the devil's golden golf club, but if you lose - your soul will spend eternity washing his balls... er, golf balls that is...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sounds interesting, hopefully the gameplay will come together nicely.

• Thanks, I'll update as progress is made.

• Can't imagine how wicked the gameplay will be

• Ha Ha Ha, I just expect devil to play a huge amount of cheats to win

• Allen T and ikkante - Yes, it will be wicked, and the devil is definitely gonna play dirty.

sidenote: I can never remember how to "@" names that have a space in them I tried with Allen T, but couldn't figure it out.

• ahahhaha nice idea ^^

• Awesoem, man! just played your demo level and the gofl gods were smiling down! 1st place on the leaderboards! look forward te more levels soon I hope

• Awesoem, man! just played your demo level and the gofl gods were smiling down! 1st place on the leaderboards! look forward te more levels soon I hope

Thanks, mate! Great username btw. sounds like a cool game title

• Cool concept and great art!

It would be nice with some kind of tutorial level, like with a text box on screen explaining the swing mechanic while you can try it out. I skimmed the text page and then got lost when the game starts

A tutorial level could also be a lot easier, and smaller, so the difficulty ramps up a little.

That said I really like the game concept, where did you get inspiration for it?

• Cool concept and great art!

It would be nice with some kind of tutorial level, like with a text box on screen explaining the swing mechanic while you can try it out. I skimmed the text page and then got lost when the game starts

A tutorial level could also be a lot easier, and smaller, so the difficulty ramps up a little.

That said I really like the game concept, where did you get inspiration for it?

Holy Hell, Risto! You are a mindreader or something! No joke, I was thinking your exact suggestions not 8 hours earlier and planned to ask on here about junking the instructions and curbing the level. Awesome, advice, man. I try to be so thorough in explaining the game prior to playing, but even I found myself skimming and skipping other developers same attempts when trying others creations... haha, nobody wants to read paragraphs is the lesson learned. Just let them jump in and "show" them the game play as they run through a simplified level. Bam! Gonna do that. Your other point is a classic overestimating the n00b player. I've run that course a million times and know every pixel and upcoming avoidance that I forget how this is all new to everyone else. I guess I wanted it to be challenging enough that people wanted to "try again", but the fact that there are very few on the leaderboard was beginning to tell me, "few are completing this level, Dude! Thanks again, Risto. I'm on these needed changes!

• Oh, and the inspiration came from wanting to do a pixel art based platformer, but with some twist. The golf angle came to me after hearing the song, "Devil Went Down to Georgia" on the radio. I think there's lots of room for funny storyline developments and diverse platform designs. Maybe some RPG elements with the golfer meeting banished souls, talking with them, answering riddles or the such.

https://youtu.be/SF0TrSPdT9s

(Devil Went Down to Georgia w/ lyrics)

• Great I think it would work with 1 or 2 levels just explaining the basic mechanics, like swinging without enemies, and then add more enemies and hazards later on. But don't make then to minimalistic, its always nice with some secrets and collectables for replay value.

Cool song! I'm not sure if it out of scope, but would be nice if you would play some levels above ground in the normal world and then having a level where you challenge the devil, and the level is extremely hard so you basically has to have played the game before to complete it. Then when you lose, you end up in hell and has to work your way up, to later challenge the devil again in the end

• Ok, finally got the walk-thru of gameplay mechanics implemented! Version 2.1 is now live!

• Ok, finally got the walk-thru of gameplay mechanics implemented! Version 2.1 is now live!

Great! I especially like how the devils stands there next to the hole and laughs at you

I think the hints about the water and slowmotion roots are a little overkill. If you want to keep them it might work to make something in-game, like a sign or another golf player warning the player.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)