"Server Busy" crash

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimalist Crash Balls is a game where the goal is to hit the ball on the portal, with 20 different levels :)
  • Problem Description

Every now and then, C2 crashes with this box popping up:

(Sorry for the picture quality, I had to take it with a phone camera because I couldnt take a screenshot!)

This seems to happen after C2 has been minimized and brought up again. Clicking either of the available buttons simply makes the dialogue box pop up again immediately. There's no way out of the crash without restarting the PC - somehow it even stops ctrl-alt-del from working.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

Not much idea unfortunately. I know this isn't very helpful but I thought I'd report it because it seems to hang the OS.

Operating System and Service Pack

Win7 64bit

Construct 2 Version ID

r175

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I've never seen that dialog before ever! I have no idea what the "server" is nor which program is busy and what it would switch to. Are you sure this doesn't relate to antivirus or some other system specific issue?

• I got this error lots and lots. I still get it periodically especially when a program sneaks into my startup list and does automatic updates...

Basically what it is, is a program is trying to access the internet and connect to server usually for updates (antivirus, etc) and of course an issue occurs and it bombs out.

I don't know why the minimize triggers the issue, perhaps the pc thinks this is a good time to update program xyz and then when you maximize it goes funky.

You can do a few things... or at least this is what helped me.

If you are able to get into task manager ctrl+alt+del (I know it isn't always the case) then go into processes and select the 'Server Busy' program, right-click and select 'Go to Process'. This should tell you what program is causing the error. Either edit or uninstall the program. You can also select "server busy" and end process - saves you a reboot.

I eventually untick any unecessary programs from running on startup. CCleaner has a little section for this. I just slowly disabled them one by one, leaving only those I required / needed.

Use Alt+Tab to cycle through open windows - It helps, and makes you're pc function like a mac (just kidding).

• All right, so I guess it's probably not C2's fault then? I've NEVER seen the error without C2 being up, which leads me to assume it's some sort of contributing factor? Could be a coincidence I suppose.

• sqiddster

I have the similar error popped up before and crashes my C2 session, but dont remember it being titled "server" but the message is identical. The only thing I know that for it happen (for my case) is because of dropbox regularly sync files whenever C2 trigger autosave and autobackup (it kind of stuck since dropbox trying to sync it while C2 is still writing/saving something). FYI this happen exclusively on my old junk laptop with win7 64bit (this was bought in 2008), my only solution last time was to disconnect from internet. Turning off autosave and autobackup didn't help since if my laptop is online, the dropbox still do that freeze&crash during C2 normal/manual save but it's not consistent like autosave&autobackup. I think things will get worse if I'm saving/working with larger size projects.

I recently bought a new laptop due to need of of my engineering job (CAD tools), never had this issue again, so my deduction is my old laptop simply out of "CPU juice" and super lagging. My thought is my new laptop simply fast enough to do the autosave and autobackup before/during the dropbox sync triggered/start.

I felt like an idiot for not trying to turn off dropbox sync before because i realized this after i got the new laptop.

I hope it helps you, if... only.... you.... are using a rather old machine + dropbox. If you have a reliable machine, maybe the problem is due to other things.

Ashley does this sound plausible? It is just a deduction from me.

• Aha, you're probably on to something. My backup directory is in Dropbox, and my machine definitely isn't the best (win7 64bit).

Not backing up to dropbox is very dangerous though so I really don't want to stop doing that.

• I've had my dev copy of C2 backing up to Dropbox for a long time and I have still never seen this.

• Not backing up to dropbox is very dangerous though so I really don't want to stop doing that.

Oh I just realize how big is your project was, just had a glimpse on your twitch video, you have considerably large asset/project size. My suggestion is to try simulate a save while batting watchful eyes on your dropbox folder, the C2 save must end before the small blue icon of sync symbol appear on your folder/files icon, in my case, the crash happen 100% of the time if the blue sync symbol appear before C2 finished saving my files, only C2 will get drunk and pass out but dropbox is a heavy drinker which will poke your C2 until it dies.

It's true that not backing up to dropbox is dangerous, you don't really have any option actually, I have search method to "delay" dropbox sync before but to no avail. Can't really suggest anything better though for now.

I've had my dev copy of C2 backing up to Dropbox for a long time and I have still never seen this.

Yes Ashley, this doesn't happen to my new machine, my project is rather large now, and the save doesn't end before the blue sync icon start, yet works like charm. That's why i mentioned "CPU juice".

• I get that dialog just about every time I reboot.

Its Dropbox trying to connect, even though the system isn't connected yet.

• See I just do all editing on files within my Dropbox folder. So I don't worry about the automated backups. Not sure if that'd work for you guys, but for my small projects it's worked just fine.

• DatapawWolf I did that at one point, but the issue is it seemed like it was eating up so much bandwidth by constantly uploading every time I saved... I dunno though, I guess the case is the same if you're doing backups there too?

• sqiddster

Schedule SyncToy to Run Automatically With Task Scheduler in Windows 7.

I have various syncing, but for C2, I have my projects folder one drive C:\ and I save backups to drive F:\ , then synctoy is set to run twice per day(my setting) and it syncs both folders files to my dropbox and copy folders. Once those files appear there then they do there job.

I set the sync over lunch time, and at end of day.

• sqiddster

Schedule SyncToy to Run Automatically With Task Scheduler in Windows 7.

I have various syncing, but for C2, I have my projects folder one drive C:\ and I save backups to drive F:\ , then synctoy is set to run twice per day(my setting) and it syncs both folders files to my dropbox and copy folders. Once those files appear there then they do there job.

I set the sync over lunch time, and at end of day.

Sounds like a solution for "delay dropbox sync", definitely gonna try this later on my old laptop. Thanks DUTOIT for sharing!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)