Steps to reproduce:
1. Start a new C2 empty project.
2. Insert a new Sprite to the layout.
3. In the Animation/Image editor, select a non-square area ex. 200x90, and then use the crop tool to crop to it.
4. Hold shift while dragging the selection tool to make a square selection that stretches outside the image canvas (now rectangular). Just to be sure, try to encompass the entire canvas and then some.
5. A square should appear (smaller than the selection) that extends outside the image canvas. This in itself is unexpected.
6. Now click the Crop tool. C2 will crash.
After holding Shift to make a square selection and letting go, a square selection appears that extends outside the canvas. When clicking crop, C2 crashes, presumably because the selection unexpectedly extends to outside the canvas.
After holding Shift to make a square selection and letting go, the resulting selection should be bound by the image canvas. When clicking crop, C2 will not crash because the selection is still within the canvas.
Operating system & service pack:
Windows 7 Pro SP 1
Construct 2 version: