R190 - jerking on IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Hello, once again, since I had no reaction at all to my previous post:

I have jittering issue aswell, but related to the platform behavior. PLEASE TAKE A LOOK, IT MIGHT BE RELATED, possibly providing some hints to the cause of the jittering/jerking-problem.

I have experienced this since I use Construct 168, and it has been always there. (Eventually, I manage to get a smoother platform movement, but I don't know exactly how... also never 100% smooth, which is annoying.) In this example case, it is just a plain platform behavior inserted, and pixel rounding turned on. (Please note: the cam-scroll is not important, it also happens to the platform object, when the cam is not following it.)

http://www.exitthegame.eu/test

I have tested it on different PCs and Macs, all with the same jittering result, in Chrome, IE (11), FF, Safari. This also happens, when exported via Web-Nod.
Oddly, sometimes the shaking/jittering is horizontal, sometimes vertical, but always there.

Do you experience a shake there? If not, here is a video of what I mean: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/297 ... truct2.rar
Also the file test.capx is attached below.

One more thing to add: when I add PlatformSprite > Set position to (round(self.X, self.Y), the platform object is always snapping one pixel down and right, when I press any platform controlling buttons. When I release them, the platform snaps back 1 px to -x and -y. You would expect it not to do that at all, since rounding of X should not be influenced by moving only Vertically and so on. See test-rounding.capx This is important, since the same effect might cause the Platform shaking in the other example, since pixel rounding is on (meaning that the displayed sprite is at a rounded position, whereas in my example I also round the object itself to a rounded position, which seems to soften the shaking, but still not working properly, as described.)

Since the effect seems to be very similar, I think it could be very related...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Just a quick question:

Is this discussion about the hideous vertical/horizontal jerks I see (on two different hardware-accelerated PCs with different brand everything) when playing a game with fast moving graphics?

I recently developed a physics game that uses an object that is meant to dodge walls and such. As these walls move by in a horizontal direction, I have noticed a "tearing" that, while it doesn't effect every single tile, it creates a pattern of tearing.

Like I noted earlier, this visual effect is obvious, and effects my game on both my PCs. On the one with an even more powerful everything, on a larger resolution it is nearly unplayable.

I have yet to export or try more than Chrome as a test subject, however, it is of note that when I use Chrome, it is either ugly at best and hideous at worst.

Is this what we are discussing? In my game in particular it looks unrelated to the game itself and more like a display error because the whole screen is never affected at one time. Just part of it.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:43 pm

@Ashley - they were my thoughts too, so I added a comment right after posing the above. I'm in the notice distribution list as well and that bug report has been quite quiet for a while...
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:32 pm

@MultipleChoice - I don't think your issue is related to this thread. This thread is basically about the v-sync quality of browsers, whereas your issue looks like it's to do with rounding in the C2 engine. You already posted a report for it here so it will be handled from there instead of this thread.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:00 pm

@Ashley : Thanks.
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:14 pm

The latest Chrome (40.0.2214.91 m) seem to have fixed the janking issue. I updated the browser and tested one of my games that previously wasn't playable in Chrome. I can confirm, that it now (finally) runs smoothly without any janking so far! At least for me. :)

To update, click the top-right menu button, and then click on "About Google Chrome".
B
S

Post » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:35 am

Significantly better! I only have one small area of janking using Chrome (40.0.2214.91 m) as @splumsy is now using, but said jank is probably due to my graphics card.

How is the newest version for everyone else?
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:04 pm

I think it's clear that this is an issue with the browsers that is still being improved, and that it's not really a Construct 2 bug. We made no changes towards this issue recently and it was the Chrome update that has apparently improved it. So closing as not a C2 bug.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Closed bugs