r190 Performance Issues (Edit: Global Layers?)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:58 am

How is a plugin bogging down your system? some kind of memory leak?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:09 pm

@QuaziGNRLnose, I don't know... I was hoping it would be a driver incompatibility but the same thing happened when I tested the project on a different computer with a totally different hardware spec and version of windows.

The editor predominantly crashes when I preview the game... If the game previews and I see all of the text objects in the HUD display are in a tiny font then I know the editor has crashed during compilation. My browser icon and the task manager icon in the task bar then all change to the C2 icon as well (until mouse over)... The editor then is unresponsive (mostly) but it will go in and out of focus; I cannot take a screen shot of what it looks like for some reason - half of the editor goes blank or it colours black. I have so far removed all webgl effects with no effects to be shown in the editor, to no change in stability. I am now writing my own replacement for the hand full of third party plugins I use.

I did wander about a memory leak but C2 seems to max out at using about 400 Mb and that doesn't seem to constantly increase as I would imagine a leak would cause.

It's going to take me a day or two to write my behaviours in events. I'll post the results of what I learn here (it was happening before r190); there is no way this can make a bug report, unless I say 'just do work in the editor, on layouts and in event sheets, while saving and previewing a lot, for 15-45 mins'...

Edit to add that I'm not sure when this started to first happen, and I am reluctant to speculate about the cause, but it was around the time that global layers were introduced (I use quite a few, so my roll back options are limited).
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Strangely enough I had just started to use global layers when I started having the issues, so I will try taking them out and see if that helps
B
S

Post » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:53 pm

OK, so it started going slow, I turned off my global layers and it was instantly OK again. Not a fully scientific test, but perhaps that's the issue here?

EDIT: In fact just having the layout open with the 'master' global layers seems to help. @Colludium is this something you can try, or is your project too large? It sounds like we might have 2 very different issues, but thought it was worth mentioning
B
S

Post » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:41 pm

OK, been testing this all day and I can now fix the slowdown every time.
It falls into this exact pattern:

1. Editor is fine and works as normal
  2. After 15-20 minutes editor will slow down
  3. Open each layout containing global master layer
  4. Slowdown problems instantly go away
Note on point 3: If the layout is already open then just clicking on the tab will have the same effect and fix the problem.
B
S

Post » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:34 pm

@SecondDimension, I think we have/had different problems. After deleting the shader effects I was using (no change to my problem) I tacked the small number of custom plugins I was using. First to go was Gleam (I discovered a couple of weeks ago that it has become deprecated) - this was easy to replace, it just took a little time (it was my first suspect because it was on many families and present somewhere on every layout during run time). Everything seemed more stable and I had my hopes up... but then, after about an hour of work the same crash happened again! So, the next to go was my old favorite LiteTween. Luckily for me I was only using it on one object, so I found a suitable work-around. And that's it! No repeats of the crashes (so far at least, after 2 hours tinkering in the editor).

Edit - OK, it's still crashing... Typically when I preview the layout. I have no idea what to do now. It is certainly more stable than before, but it's not as good as it was....
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Hmm...this is kind of worrying. :/

Does it seem to make any difference what you preview with (node, chrome, FF, IE, etc...)?

Can you force the issue to happen sooner by repeatedly previewing?

Does it happen with other projects?
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:14 pm

@TiAm, I agree, it's a little unsettling. It's hard to say what triggers it to happen. I tend to make a few adjustments to an event sheet and then preview the results. Thus the failure seems always to happen just on preview or just after I close the browser tab. I haven't done a comprehensive test using other browsers yet - good idea, although it will lock up before preview as well, so I'm not inclined to think it could be that... I've just had an idea to change something else that I have overlooked - custom web fonts... Often the preview will run with tiny default font (hard to read) or no fonts show at all - both a sign that the editor crashed during compilation.

I've just got my hopes back up. I'm away from my computer but will post later. Fingers crossed its a corrupt web font set....
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:34 pm

OK then.... This will take a couple of hours to confirm, but it appears that it was a web font that I was using. Nothing about it caused it to be rejected by the c2 editor, or Windows, but it was definitely was causing the editor to slow down. As soon as I deleted it from my system and changed the references in c2 to another font, the c2 editor became lightning fast. I feel a little elated, even though it's taken all weekend to sort out.... :)

For what it's worth, the name of the font was SF Cartoonist Hand... A pity - it was one of my favorites.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:14 pm

:shock: Wow...how could a font cause that much grief? I guess you could use GYFM to make it a spritefont...

Anyway, glad you got it resolved. 8-)
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General