r190 Performance Issues (Edit: Global Layers?)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:22 pm

I doubt a web font has anything to do with it. The editor has no special treatment of web fonts: they are handled entirely by the runtime, or if you import it as a project file, it's treated as an ordinary binary file with unknown contents. So that explanation doesn't make any sense to me, and I'd suspect it's something intermittent that you attributed to your last change.

As ever if you can reproduce anything or share any related projects then post them to the bugs forum. Also if you have extremely large projects, try turning off icon caching in Preferences.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:00 pm

@Ashley, so far so good and I'm a bit skeptical as well... What about the editor's treatment of web fonts when compiling a preview? Is it possible that a glitch during compilation could cause a crash shortly thereafter? The mini default font during preview was odd and always indicated that the editor had crashed, as if the editor/compilation process found the font incompatible somehow.

Also, it is like running a different prog now. C2 is blisteringly fast, and - regarding whether something else caused the fix - I was careful to make incremental changes and test until the next failure to avoid the confusion that would be caused by making multiple adjustments at a time. Never say never, right? But this looks like it has sorted it...

I have one extra plugin remaining (CB Hash, can't write that one myself in events) and I will certainly report a bug somehow if this recurs.

Thanks.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:39 pm

It doesn't make any sense to me, but it wouldn't be the first crazy nonsensical bug I ever dealt with, so I'm always prepared to find out if it's the case. If it really is the cause, perhaps creating a new project with nothing but loads of web fonts might demonstrate the issue?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Sorry, @Ashley, you were right to be skeptical about my earlier conclusion. Although the editor is far more stable now that I have removed almost all of my plugins and that one web font, I just had a repeat of the crash on compilation to nw (all text objects were displayed with tiny default font). My last 2 plugins are CB Hash and Canvas, which leaves me one last try. I'm going to remove CB Hash and see what happens next, as it seems unlikely that both of my computers have display driver issues v the C2 editor (one's a 9 month old W8.1 and the other is a 2 year old with W7). I will have to soak this one up, I suspect, as I have progressed too far to remove Canvas as I can't recreate what it provides by using native plugins...
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Just to update on my issue, it's not the global layers. It's just that after 20 mins of editing event sheets it gets slow, pretty much like clockwork, and I have to click on a layout (any layout). As soon as I click anywhere in any layout it all speeds up to normal again. So I can work with that, it's not too much of an inconvenience, but it's definitely a new issue with me since r190, and I haven't installed anything else new.
B
S

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Does turning off icon caching in preferences help? That can make a difference with large projects.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Already turned it off... (if the icon caching was for me).
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:16 am

Colludium wrote:Already turned it off... (if the icon caching was for me).

Same, and nothing change
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:01 am

The crash always happens during rendering for preview or just after returning to the editor after a preview. Because the text objects don't load their web fonts, I'm suspicious in that direction, but that could just be a symptom of something else. I have quite a few text objects on global layers (HUD etc) so I'm trying to recreate it in a simple project, but since this is intermittently failing already I'm not confident of reproducing it. I also have a few canvas objects on global layers, and replacing them would require me to replace the text objects with sprite font so I can use paster... It's my next and last option!
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:22 am

Does turning the icon cache back on affect it?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General