R198 Doppler effect bug?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
A total of 214 high quality and unique magic sound effects suitable for RPG, Battle Arena and more!
  • Hello,

I've installed the R198 version and discovered something strange with my positioned sounds, like if there was a dopller effect on them. (but I don't use that effect)

And I see in the patch note that the doppler effect is no longer supported and has been removed.

So I'm wondering what is going on with my sounds. Is that a bug ?

Anyone noticed that too ?

EDIT : Here is a video to show the effect on the saw sound.

• Hello,

I've installed the R198 version and discovered something strange with my positioned sounds, like if there was a dopller effect on them. (but I don't use that effect)

And I see in the patch note that the doppler effect is no longer supported and has been removed.

So I'm wondering what is going on with my sounds. Is that a bug ?

Anyone noticed that too ?

EDIT : Here is a video to show the effect on the saw sound.

After upgrading C2 I also got bad results with positional audio in an existing project (delay, distortion), so I changed them all to non-positional.. lucky for my project it's not a big deal.

edit: this was in preview in Chrome, but it previously worked fine in preview

• Nesteris I have no audio effect on the sounds.

May be I should make a bug report about that. This is so strange.

• goddamn, im using positional audio like crazy...

• Nesteris

well the benefit of having positional / doppler'ed' sound is that i dont need to generate an infinite number of possible variations of the sound effect for different scenarios... the audio engine handles it all. the doppler effect was directly related to the relationship of the sound to the source listener, there would be no feasible way to get that back on the same level with hard-filtered wav files, without spending 3 lifetimes programming it and another 7 preparing the 8gb of wave files required for such a thing.

• Are you sure you're not just hearing the lack of doppler sounds? The previous default was to have a fairly subtle default doppler effect, and now this is removed. So now it will sound slightly different because it will be playing at a steady pitch instead of a slightly varying pitch.

I'm not happy that Google removed this feature, because their rationale sounded pretty weak. I think they just don't want to have to support it or something. But I don't want to have features in C2 that don't work in major browsers, so it's being removed from C2 accordingly.

• Ashley Well, I don't use Doppler in my game. For me, the positionned sound would just adjust the volume depending on its position. But with the R198, something else is happening.

Here is a little capx I have done. It's funny.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13847313/Scirra/PositionedSoundBug.capx

Tell me what you think. Is it a bug due to the removal of the doppler, even not used,, or is it working 'as intended' for a positioned sound?

• KaMiZoTo , this is a great looking game you are making, and I loved the storytelling aspect of it! Bravo!

There is definitely something wrong with the advance audio, your example illustrates that very clearly!

• Ashley Well, I don't use Doppler in my game.

Are you sure? You would have to have deliberately turned it off, since there was a subtle doppler effect enabled by default previously.

• Oh, I just tried the .capx and there's definitely a lot of pitch shift, lol. I removed the doppler effect but it turns out if you don't specify anything then Chrome has a default doppler effect which is very obvious! It's a bug but I just fixed it for the next build - it specifically turns off the doppler effect if it's still supported.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • In my case, positioned audio is silent when previewed on latest Canary. No doppler effect was used. Just audio played on object / position. My game is suddenly mute

It works fine on Firefox though. What is even more frustrating / funny - KaMiZoTo capx works well on both browsers.

• Ashley Thank you!

eli0s Thank you!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)