[r220] Previewing In Firefox Is Not Working (Solved!)

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Problem Description

I Cannot preview in Firefox when FF is set as the preview browser.

(Note that my default browser is set to Firefox and using "default browser" as an option works just fine.)

Attach a Capx

Not required since this is from the engine and not any game but here is a screenshot that should help:

Description of Capx

It's a screenshot obviously.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Open any C2 project and have the latest version of Firefox installed
    • Set the preview browser to Firefox
    • C2 returns an error that the browser is not available even if it clearly is

Observed Result

Preview with Firefox set as preview option.

Expected Result

I expect it to work like the default browser setup works.

Affected Browsers

• Firefox: (YES)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 with latest updates and up to date drivers.

Construct 2 Version ID

Newest beta release r220 Steam release. [Personal Edition]

Additional maybe usefull information:

• Firefox version: 43.0.4
    • Checked C2 data with the Steam software data check system (0 Errors Found)
  • Can't reproduce here, works same as always. Did you change any of the install options of Firefox?

• Ashley, not really, everything is on default I got firefox installed since 2010 and just recently I noticed that it doesn't seem to find it.

Although I think that FF 64bit might have changed something but I highly doubt that since I installed it in a seperate folder.

I know that a user had the same issue with Opera that got fixed in r220, maybe the fix you did there might work with this too.

How does the previewing work, does C2 check for the default installation path or does it "find" the FF folder by itself?

(I will reinstall Firefox just to make sure, I mean it's been quiet a while now.)

• Ashley , re-installing didn't work either.

I guess I'm the only one with this issue, so if I really am, I'm willing to go on using C2 with this bug.

It doesn't affect game developement that much since I can still use the "preview with default browser" function.

(If there are no other people experiencing this issue in the next couple days, feel free to close this topic up.)

• Just for reference, i've always used FF and made sure to install the x64 version when it came out recently.

I'm now using 43.04 without any issues.

The only difference is you are using the Steam version.

I'm wondering if uninstalling C2 and removing the registry branch would help, but I'd only do such a thing if you are entirly comfortable with such things.

• Just for reference, i've always used FF and made sure to install the x64 version when it came out recently.

I'm now using 43.04 without any issues.

The only difference is you are using the Steam version.

I'm wondering if uninstalling C2 and removing the registry branch would help, but I'd only do such a thing if you are entirly comfortable with such things.

The Steam "data check" system is kinda like unistalling an reinstalling C2, but good hint on that registry branch I'll look if that will help me to fix the bug.

• zenox98 do you know which keys are used by the "preview browser" feature?

Because the most of the keys just seem to be preference data which I don't want to remove.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If you search for 'Registry' and posts by Ashley (here's one https://www.scirra.com/forum/dialog-don-t-reset-any-more-in-build-178_p837669?#p837669 ) he has recommended a few times to delete the whole C2 branch.

This will get rid of ALL preferences, but I can't see that being a problem (I never really change anything in C2).

You can (I would say MUST) make a backup of the branch before deleting, just in case!

C2 will obviously recreate the whole brance with it's defaults.

Again, I'll reiterate - don't do this if you are in any way unsure!!!

• zenox98 Sorry for the late response, so I tried some stuff outside of C2 and I also cleared out the C2 registry (with backup of course).

Only bad news, it's still not working for me.

I would like to quote myself once again: "How does the previewing work, does C2 check for the default installation path or does it "find" the FF folder by itself?"

(With more information about that I could maybe find a way to fix the issue since noone else seems to experience it right now.)

• C2 just tells windows to launch a "firefox.exe" process, and this seems to work for almost all systems. It doesn't check any install paths or registry keys. I don't know why it's stopped working for you...

• C2 just tells windows to launch a "firefox.exe" process, and this seems to work for almost all systems. It doesn't check any install paths or registry keys. I don't know why it's stopped working for you...

I really don't know what to do about this, everything is on default with firefox.

I guess you can close this one up Ashley if you would like to, I doubt that anyone else has this issue.

Thanks for your quick response and help guys!

• Fixed it!

The issue was so simple yet so hard to find.

So for some weird reason FF 32bit was not in my windows start menu programs list which caused C2 to show up that error message.

(I guess this happened because I removed FF 64bit earlier...)

After reinstalling (again) and checking the advanced settings within the installer I found out that the checkbox for

creating a start menu folder was unchecked, so I checked it and the error just vanished.

(Bug is solved. Thanks for your help in trying to find the bug earlier zenox98 Ashley !)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)