r257.3 - LONG Pauses on video loops

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • Problem Description

Looping video freezes on last frame for a LONG period of time before restarting.

Attach a Capx

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bu3fwrw6fjpcz ... .capx?dl=0

Description of Capx

Plays looping video

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Run Project
    • Wait for video to reach end
    • See how long it takes to restarted

Observed Result

10+ second delay to restart video, meanwhile the video is stuck on the last frame. In larger projects with streaming audio and/or player interaction/input, this delay also occurs before the video starts playing the first time.

Expected Result

pre-r257 behavior where looping pause was very short/unnoticable, no/short delay for videos to start playing the first time.

Affected Browsers

• NWjs: YES
    • Chrome: YES
    • FireFox: YES
    • EDGE: YES

Operating System and Service Pack

Win10 Enterprise 1803 17134.1

Construct 2 Version ID

r257.3

• Are you sure this does not reproduce in r256? The video changes in r257 should only affect how video starts playing, not any aspect of playback beyond that. The browser handles the actual playback including the loop-around so there might not be much we can do about this. Also it would be helpful if you can provide a shorter video since it will make it quicker to test any changes.

• Are you sure this does not reproduce in r256? The video changes in r257 should only affect how video starts playing, not any aspect of playback beyond that. The browser handles the actual playback including the loop-around so there might not be much we can do about this. Also it would be helpful if you can provide a shorter video since it will make it quicker to test any changes.

I don't recall trying it in r256, I was previously on r255. As stated above, the video also takes awhile to start the first time through in projects with other things in the layout - a typical scenario on a menu screen, with the video as the background, some spritefont objects, keyboard/gamepad input, streaming audio playing.

The video is longer to illustrate the issue more clearly - a shorter video does not pause for as long, and depending on length, restarts without pause. I've updated the .capx above so that if you press the spacebar, a shorter video clip will load. I've also added in a streaming audio clip in case that is having some effect on the video.

• I only see a momentary pause on my dev machine (which is high end) - not sure why it can't loop seamlessly though. Could you test r256 as well? It's always useful to know the specific release that started exhibiting an issue.

• I only see a momentary pause on my dev machine (which is high end) - not sure why it can't loop seamlessly though. Could you test r256 as well? It's always useful to know the specific release that started exhibiting an issue.

I'm on a fairly powerful machine as well (i7-7700k 4.2GHz, 64GB RAM) so I also find the pause surprising.

In r256, I'm seeing a SLIGHT pause in the longer/larger video, but nothing as severe as r257.3. Both r255 & r256 pause for about half a second, r257.3 for far longer, with the test .capx above.

It's possible that it's due to the compression settings the videos use, but won't have time to test other settings until this evening EST, as .ogv & .mp4 are exhibiting much less of a delay than .webm, and the .webm file is much larger. Will update here with more info then.

UPDATE: It's looking like the issue may be due to using large, long video files. I don't have time to update the .capx right now but you can probably close this out as a minor issue; re-exporting the longer video with different, lower-quality (but not significantly lower visually) settings reduces the delay quite a bit, though there is still a slight delay when it loops that causes a visual stutter throughout all on-screen elements.

An interesting side effect of the initial delay before the video starts playing is that it also prevents streaming audio from starting until the video has started.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • From my tests:

• the loop gap reproduces in Chrome identically in r255 stable and r257.3 beta, so this does not appear to be caused by a change in Construct 2
    • the loop appears to be seamless in Edge 17, so it appears to be browser-specific
    • the loop also appears to be seamless after exporting to NW.js, so it appears to be specific to preview mode
    • the loop also appears to be seamless in C3's preview mode

Chrome 66 stable also came out on April 17th, shortly before the report, coinciding with the r257 release. So despite the original report I suspect this is either an issue specifically with C2's preview server or Chrome itself. There's probably not much we can do about either (the C2 preview server uses a HTTP server built in to Windows), but based on the fact it doesn't appear to be caused by C2's code, and that you appear to have found a workaround anyway, closing.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)