Here is what happens:
1. I start C2, then open a project (.capx or .caproj).
2. I right-click the C2 icon and start a second instance of C2, then open a different project (again, either .capx or .caproj).
3. I close the second instance.
4. Bluescreen of Fun!
I can reproduce this 9 times out of 10.
I guess my first question is: should I even be opening a new instance, or should I be opening the second project in the first instance?
I realize a bluescreen can be caused by any number of things, and is probably outside the scope of what you can troubleshoot. I just thought it might be helpful in case there is something in C2 causing an issue.
I have compiled a number of files into a 7-Zip file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38038537/Bluescreen.7z
Description of Files
- Bluescreen.png: Blurry picture of the bluescreen (sorry for the poor quality).
- BluescreenAdditionalInformation.pdf: Additional bluescreen information presented by Windows after reboot.
- LaptopSetup.pdf: Information about my laptop hardware, OS, and software.
- WER-77423-0.sysdata.xml: System config dump file generated by Windows after bluescreen.
I have tested this with and without McAfee running. I am running the most current video drivers for my laptop.
I can obviously work around this by not opening a second instance of C2. It is just more convenient to alt-tab between windows when copying objects or events.
Apparently, I was running the latest video drivers from HP, but not the latest AMD ATI drivers. So I downloaded the latest version (11.9).
After I installing the drivers, when I try to load or start a new project, C2 will just hang for about 30 seconds, the screen will go black, then return, and the Catalyst Monitor says it had to reset the video card. :-< C2 remains hung.
I've scanned the entire C: drive using Malwarebytes and McAfee, but no infected files were found.
There is something critically wrong with my laptop, so I will be re-installing it tomorrow. It seems the bluescreen issue is related to the video card or drivers being hosed, so I will test this all tomorrow after i re-install.
Sometimes I really dislike computers.