Raket - a 2D run and gun platformer

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:21 pm

Well back on topic and all... those concept sketches look mad. The main character looks totally original and awesome to boot. Can't wait to see some early sprite animation and get a feel for what the game will be like. :D

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:17 am

currently working the head -- trying to find nice muscle lines for the face. still requires more work, and i've obviously not added the details yet.

[quote="David":1zul6gx3]Wait a 'her'...does that mean we have female users ?[/quote:1zul6gx3]
i've been telling her to, but i don't think she's even downloaded Construct yet :P

i'll bet i end up doing almost all the code for the game.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Im curious on how youre going to model this, i suspect youre going to load this low poly model with some sort of mesh smooth on it into a program like mudbox or zbrush, so that you can detail it a little better, making muscles using box modeling is a pain if youre going for realism, also how big will he be in game cause that should influence how much detail you add to it, sometimes adding too much detail blurs the subject and makes it look too busy
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:24 pm

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":1bytzzsw]Im curious on how youre going to model this, i suspect youre going to load this low poly model with some sort of mesh smooth on it into a program like mudbox or zbrush, so that you can detail it a little better, making muscles using box modeling is a pain if youre going for realism, also how big will he be in game cause that should influence how much detail you add to it, sometimes adding too much detail blurs the subject and makes it look too busy[/quote:1bytzzsw]
i plan on making it into a legitimate game model that a 3D game could use. he'll be small in my 2D construct game, so hyper detail isn't important. the art style is also going to be pretty abstract in the 2D game. but i'm keeping tri numbers of the model low enough so i can use it for a 3D game if i wanted.

it's flat shaded in those pictures, but with the same polygons rendered in smooth shading, it won't have this blocky look to it.

edit: here's a pic to show flat and smooth shading with the same exact model (with a deadpool texture projected onto the side):

B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:09 am

Hey does anyone know how in maya to render an animation and export each image separately as a png ?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:55 am

[quote="David":2m7prmsp]Hey does anyone know how in maya to render an animation and export each image separately as a png ?[/quote:2m7prmsp]

In you Render Settings be sure you set up your output files like so:

Pick "name.#.ext", "PNG", and set your end frame to whatever the end frame of your animation is. You might also want to check your image size settings and the quality settings on the Maya Software tab.

Then close the Render Settings window.

Now go to Render -> Batch Render, and it'll render your frames and number them for you. Unless you specify a different location in your project settings, they'll probably be in C:\Documents and Settings\whatever\My Documents\maya\projects\default\images.

Took me a minute to remember how to do it (the batch render part), I haven't used Maya in a looong time :?. Oh well, now that I've reinstalled it I guess I have an excuse to start modeling again.

Edit:
Oh yeah, make sure that Alpha is ticked, and that you don't have a material linked to your viewport (you probably don't, it's something that you have to do manually). Oh, and of course be sure to pick the correct camera :wink:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:04 am

so how exactly do you guys have maya at home :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:10 am

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":15ssyp30]so how exactly do you guys have maya at home :lol:[/quote:15ssyp30]

I got it from school.

Oh look, a stupid box: http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php?id ... pidbox.cap

I just learned something else... I don't have to import images into sprite frames one at a time. I can just right click on the first frame and hit "Import frames" then select a whole list at once. Why didn't anyone ever tell me this :shock:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:56 pm

i have been unsuccessfully trying to tell people that a few times, normally about breaking up and importing sprite sheets/tilesets in one go

..that is if you're talking about the function i think you are.... if not nevermind :D
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:23 pm

[quote="Arcticus":2ccgs1s3]i have been unsuccessfully trying to tell people that a few times, normally about breaking up and importing sprite sheets/tilesets in one go

..that is if you're talking about the function i think you are.... if not nevermind :D[/quote:2ccgs1s3]

No, I knew you could do it by cutting up sprite sheets automatically, I just never bothered to place my sprites on a sheet. The thing I just realized was you can select a whole list of files at once and import that way too.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations