Random freezes on Windows Phone 8 Device

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue May 14, 2013 3:41 pm

@thehen 35Mb
B
14
S
4
G
2
Posts: 190
Reputation: 3,938

Post » Tue May 14, 2013 4:22 pm

@beufreecasse sounds like that has something to do with it. Any chance that we can choose which sprites to encode using your tool? I'm looking into mhtml as a possible alternative atm.
Moderator
B
72
S
13
G
11
Posts: 900
Reputation: 11,783

Post » Tue May 14, 2013 5:43 pm

@thehen 15Mb and black screen.
but with a bit of optimization i jumped from 20FPS to 40FPS even with local hosting.

B
11
S
3
Posts: 224
Reputation: 2,028

Post » Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 pm

@Knifegrinder,

Wow +20fps, impressive gains!

My game already runs okay, but there's always room for improvement! Any good optimization tips you can pass on?
B
32
S
6
G
7
Posts: 489
Reputation: 8,217

Post » Tue May 14, 2013 10:05 pm

@beufreecasse @Knifegrinder can you guys try adding this to your WMAppManifest.xml after the ScreenResolution element:

    <FunctionalCapabilities>
      <FunctionalCapability Name="ID_FUNCCAP_EXTEND_MEM"/>
    </FunctionalCapabilities>

This pretty much doubles available RAM and gets me to the loading screen (but no further).

Edit->
Just to confirm this works for me if as long as I keep the unencoded urls for some of the bigger UI images. @beufreecasse any chance we can add selective encoding into your tool - like a checklist of sprites to encode? My c2runtime.js is 8.6mb so it looks like this is the golden size to aim for.

Edit 2->
Confirmed on hardware! Hooray!thehen2013-05-14 22:24:04
Moderator
B
72
S
13
G
11
Posts: 900
Reputation: 11,783

Post » Sun May 19, 2013 2:28 pm

@thehen,

Just stumbled across something you may find helpful!

Whilst exporting my project earlier today, I neglected to uncheck the minify option. After base64 encoding my c2runtime.js, the file size came out at approx 7mb. When I tried to run the project on my device, all I got was a black screen. Needless to say, I did start to hyperventilate a little at this point ;)

Upon realising my mistake, I re-exported the project (with minify unchecked). This time, after base encoding my images, my file came out at approx 4.5mb, and the project ran really well on my device.

Hope this information helps to shed further light on packaging apps for Windows Phone!

**Edit** - In my first attempt, I did also try updating the WMAppManifest.xml in the way you described above. Although I still just got a black screen when running it on my device.

Blacksmith2013-05-19 14:37:07
B
32
S
6
G
7
Posts: 489
Reputation: 8,217

Post » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:06 pm

How do you measure fps on a mobile app?
B
11
S
2
Posts: 68
Reputation: 982

Post » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:47 pm

[QUOTE=KiratTheKop] How do you measure fps on a mobile app?[/QUOTE]
Create a Text object.
Every tick -> Set text to "FPS: "&fps
B
43
S
15
G
6
Posts: 481
Reputation: 6,942

Post » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:34 pm

There is a problem after the data.json was introduced. I've been using that excellent tool provided by @beufreecasse but I had some fps issues because I could not base64 encode images at data.json.

Anyway, I'm working on a tool that replaces image data at data.json file. I'm encoding only the most critical images, because I can't find a solution for duplicate image data in data.json file.

Drop me a private message if you're interested of testing the tool

/timo
B
12
S
3
Posts: 25
Reputation: 1,430

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests