Reaction to sound?

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:54 am

[quote="Lord Blizzard":1uqpc6bz]The example you linked isn't working for me for some reason[/quote:1uqpc6bz]

Um... my 'peak level test.cap?' The one that I thought cleared things up for you before? Uh, okay. Strange. I assumed it had worked before since you said you got it.

Anyway, if you're getting an error when you open it it's probably because you aren't using 0.99.72.

[quote="Lord Blizzard":1uqpc6bz]but the only thing I'm curious about how he did was rounding the values, though I think I have an idea of doing that so it isn't so skippy...[/quote:1uqpc6bz]

The... he? Me? What example? I am so confused by almost everything in your post :P. If it's my example... and it's the one that doesn't work... then how did you know about the rounding? And what... I mean... gah I lost my train of thought.

Okay, start again. The example which helped you before now doesn't work and may or may not work retroactively in the past due to - quantum fluctuations in the time stream? let's just go with that - yet in some alternate universe that you have mystical knowledge of an alternate you understands that a) I had a rounding action in my example and b) it looks kind of skippy, but that other you, by proxy of you who is you-you, doesn't understand the rounding works but perhaps has a way of making it not so skippy.

Okay, I think I got it.

What was the question, again?

B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:53 pm

hey that's a sweet example! :D
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:17 am

Ugh, I feel silly now. Okay, I didn't realize the .cap you posted was actually MADE by you right off. I thought you'd linked me to something someone else had done. hence the mixup with 'he' instead of you.

You mentioned using the .wav format, or the channel audio, instead of the. mp3. Even without looking at the example, I tested that out, and it DID work, so that was what solved it for me.

You mentioned rounding it in your post, so I knew you'd done something to make it smoother, even though I couldn't see it to figure out how or what did it.

And no, I'm not running 99.72, i had 99.6. So, i'll install the new one and properly look at the .cap. =P

Basically, I understood what you said, I just couldn't check your example to see exactly what you meant. :D
B
G

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:35 am

Oh, okay. That makes more sense than the whole alternate universe thing. I guess I should have read my own previous post too, would have cleared up some confusion.

Oh and just in case you were wondering, the peak levels are returned in their raw format as a floating point value less than 1, so I multiplied the value by 100 and rounded it to get a more useful, readable number.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:51 am

Heh, I love similar thinking. I actually did that with a circle sprite I had (multiplied by 100), then made it so the sprite's opacity was set always to the value of the peaklevel * 100. with the music, it's VERY skippy, as the peaks are constantly changing, so I'm working on either averaging out the value every 50 milliseconds or so to smooth it out, or I might just smooth the audio file itself, though I'm not sure what effect this would have on the end sound.

Ah well, it's an experimental WIP, no reason not to try random stuff. =P

And thanks for all your input, by the way. Very helpful, even if this doesn't end up working out quite as planned. =P
B
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:11 am

audio equipments usually hold the highest peak for a little while. Maybe that's what you're after?
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic