real: construct 2 not have a good performance

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:17 pm

New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:46 am

Ashley should have added easy tweaks that lots of users can do to minimize CPU usage, rather than highlighting what they are doing wrong, offer some pro-tips on how they can optimize their games.

Here's mine:
Work out if they need something to be done every tick (16ms) or not, if not, definitely put it under Every X seconds instead to lessen the calculations the CPU has to do.

The most simple example is Enemy Health Bars. Often its updated in size every tick in most CAPX I've seen, not necessary since in most games, attacks or opportunities for enemies to take damage occur much less frequently than every 16ms. Multiply this by heaps of enemies onscreen, its just extra CPU cycles being wasted.

Another simple tip, is to use Trigger Once often for events that you only want to occur once and not every tick. Like setting the Text in a textbox on touch or mouseover, tooltips for items etc. ie.A condition On Mouseover -> Set Text "AB" will occur every tick when its not required.

Lots of other little tweaks can be done to get good performance of even complex games on mobiles.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am

Silverforce wrote:Ashley should have added easy tweaks that lots of users can do to minimize CPU usage, rather than highlighting what they are doing wrong, offer some pro-tips on how they can optimize their games.

Here's mine:
Work out if they need something to be done every tick (16ms) or not, if not, definitely put it under Every X seconds instead to lessen the calculations the CPU has to do.

The most simple example is Enemy Health Bars. Often its updated in size every tick in most CAPX I've seen, not necessary since in most games, attacks or opportunities for enemies to take damage occur much less frequently than every 16ms. Multiply this by heaps of enemies onscreen, its just extra CPU cycles being wasted.

Another simple tip, is to use Trigger Once often for events that you only want to occur once and not every tick. Like setting the Text in a textbox on touch or mouseover, tooltips for items etc. ie.A condition On Mouseover -> Set Text "AB" will occur every tick when its not required.

Lots of other little tweaks can be done to get good performance of even complex games on mobiles.

Call me a pessimist, but unless they will understand how to work in c2, they will be coming back with same issues, regardless of any tips and tutorials. For better or worst C2 is not as simple as it makes out to be. Maybe first tip should be "do not start with making a mobile game, instead try different little desktop prototypes"? :)
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:00 am

Silverforce wrote:The most simple example is Enemy Health Bars. Often its updated in size every tick in most CAPX I've seen, not necessary since in most games, attacks or opportunities for enemies to take damage occur much less frequently than every 16ms. Multiply this by heaps of enemies onscreen, its just extra CPU cycles being wasted.

True, best place to update health bar is when something actually hits it. So when you write your attack events, just add a update health function at end. :lol:

You fire laser - laser misses
You fire laser - laser hits - "Update Health Status"
You fire laser - laser misses
you fire laser - laser misses.
you pick you nose, take a sip of coffee
you fire laser - laser misses
you fire laser - laser hits - "Update Health Status"
you fly through a add 5 health token - "Update Health Status"
you hit a wall - "Update Health Status'

megatronx wrote:Maybe first tip should be "do not start with making a mobile game, instead try different little desktop prototypes"? :)

I like that, how about do not start on your game, start with tutorials and examples and make those first.
I learnt SO MUCH from
Template: Real Time Strategy (RTS)
(An advanced template showing how to set up an RTS style game with user-commanded units which aim and fire at enemies)
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:47 am

DUTOIT wrote:you pick you nose, take a sip of coffee

If no tissue, do not sip your coffee ;)

One more idea would be to make Beginner and Advanced User modes in construct, and in Beginner mode focus on simplicity, with many intermediate level coding done as a plugin ( which advanced user could use too actually ) and limited diversity. I know it's rather not going to be implemented, but could work nevertheless.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:31 am

Last edited by piuuu on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:35 am

@ DUTOIT
hummmmm c2 is not only one technology on which i am working
smart people like you done very good job , so my problems solved by RND.
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:17 am

After reading the whole topic , i really hate that @generalhak guy...

:)) i have a galaxy s2, galaxy tab one and LG g2 , and i have 3 of my games made by construct2 , run very very smooth on all my device. All of them some kind of Fighting game, auto runner game, platform game ... And i spend 2 year to learn, and make game.

Let's me take a simple example... If you're a pro gamer, really good at Counter strike game, and you own a cheapest mouse and keyboard in the world, you still can defeat allmost other player.

And if you're noob, you own a greatest mouse and keyboard, you still a loser.

I'm sure that you'll learn more and more to make a great game by C2 , or with unity 3d etc... But not just one month.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:19 am

why are people being bullies? maybe this community IS like clickteam after all. Either way, some of the replies here don't leave a good impression on me. >.<
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:36 am

DialgaBrite wrote:why are people being bullies? maybe this community IS like clickteam after all. Either way, some of the replies here don't leave a good impression on me. >.<

This community is nothing like clickteam. The underlying issue with this thread and countless other threads like this one, is that uneducated, new users with big dreams try the software (maybe spending 30 hours) and fail to create the blockbuster game. They then come and attack the software.

This is a very helpful community, but don't come guns blazing as tho OP did. Because you will meet with resistance.
Trust me, the guys in this topic are very very helpful. They would have ensured that OP got his game running at 60fps, but he wasn't interested. Some folks even PM'd him trying to help. He just wasn't interested.

What is important to remember. We don't have to help anyone, and we also get tired of abusive people who demand help. We help because we strive to be a open, friendly community.
In this case, the OP wasn't willing to meet anybody halfway, he just wanted to flame.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General