Real-time, collaborative HTML5 + WebGL game development

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:25 am

I remember someone posted a while back about CraftStudio here ( http://craftstud.io/ ) and I felt like its successor "Superpowers" should also get a mention now that it's gone Free & Open Source as of yesterday and looks like a lot of work has gone into making it into a sweet indie game development tool already :D

It's HTML5 and WebGL based as well, defaulting to a built-in ThreeJS-based TypeScript engine ready to go out of the box, but what's really cool about it is that it doesn't just allow people to work together, but they actually develop the games right in their browsers too! People run the server, then point their browsers to it and get to work :o

Also cool is that it's very flexible with what it can be used to make, since its ThreeJS engine can be swapped out for others like say LOVE 2D which is LUA based, or even Node.JS itself based on what I've been reading on their site.

Like how Godot Engine seems to be coming along nicely too it's always great to see more options available for indie developers, especially with the collaborative/real-time editing which feels like the right direction for people doing game jams or working remotely together :) Hopefully someday Superpowers gets a visual scripting system similar to the block system of Craft Studio or Construct :P

Image

Site: http://superpowers-html5.com/index.en.html
Press kit: https://bitbucket.org/superpowers/press-kit/src
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
107
S
38
G
17
Posts: 2,169
Reputation: 18,933

Post » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:00 am

Jayjay wrote:I remember someone posted a while back about CraftStudio here ( http://craftstud.io/ ) and I felt like its successor "Superpowers" should also get a mention now that it's gone Free & Open Source as of yesterday and looks like a lot of work has gone into making it into a sweet indie game development tool already :D

It's HTML5 and WebGL based as well, defaulting to a built-in ThreeJS-based TypeScript engine ready to go out of the box, but what's really cool about it is that it doesn't just allow people to work together, but they actually develop the games right in their browsers too! People run the server, then point their browsers to it and get to work :o

Also cool is that it's very flexible with what it can be used to make, since its ThreeJS engine can be swapped out for others like say LOVE 2D which is LUA based, or even Node.JS itself based on what I've been reading on their site.

Like how Godot Engine seems to be coming along nicely too it's always great to see more options available for indie developers, especially with the collaborative/real-time editing which feels like the right direction for people doing game jams or working remotely together :) Hopefully someday Superpowers gets a visual scripting system similar to the block system of Craft Studio or Construct :P

Image

Site: http://superpowers-html5.com/index.en.html
Press kit: https://bitbucket.org/superpowers/press-kit/src


Nice Engine. Amazing that it is HTML5 like Construct 2 XD
Image



The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
54
S
17
G
90
Posts: 1,111
Reputation: 59,120

Post » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:52 am

@chadorireborn Yeah! I'm actually really surprised by how smooth it is in the example games both 3D and 2D compared to some of my other experiences with Construct 2 + NodeWebkit, and that it even runs pretty nicely (meaning the editor has some bugs but the runtime is good and highly playable) on my Xbox One!

Also love that the editor is made in HTML5 as well, so no installation for collaborators is needed. Code editing is live like a Google Docs file and map editing changes are instantly shown on others' computers as well. Pretty neat and again, amazingly it's open source/free software :o


Definitely some features there I'd love to see in Construct 3, especially the live collaboration support and maybe even switching to Electron instead of NodeWebkit.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
107
S
38
G
17
Posts: 2,169
Reputation: 18,933

Post » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:04 am

Jayjay wrote:@chadorireborn Yeah! I'm actually really surprised by how smooth it is in the example games both 3D and 2D compared to some of my other experiences with Construct 2 + NodeWebkit, and that it even runs pretty nicely (meaning the editor has some bugs but the runtime is good and highly playable) on my Xbox One!

Also love that the editor is made in HTML5 as well, so no installation for collaborators is needed. Code editing is live like a Google Docs file and map editing changes are instantly shown on others' computers as well. Pretty neat and again, amazingly it's open source/free software :o


Definitely some features there I'd love to see in Construct 3, especially the live collaboration support and maybe even switching to Electron instead of NodeWebkit.


Now that you mention it. That's a great idea for Construct 2, I hope that feature will be added. Html 5 is becoming more amazing the longer it gets.
Image



The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
54
S
17
G
90
Posts: 1,111
Reputation: 59,120

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:01 pm

chadorireborn wrote:Now that you mention it. That's a great idea for Construct 2, I hope that feature will be added. Html 5 is becoming more amazing the longer it gets.


Yeah, the desktop has HTML5 going pretty well (as in, the Chrome and Firefox browsers are pretty good), but native wrappers/console browsers/mobiles still have some catch-up to do I think. Hopefully soon! :P
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
107
S
38
G
17
Posts: 2,169
Reputation: 18,933


Return to Open Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests