Rebelstar / Laser Squad

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:45 am

Sorry to disappoint I haven't make it yet but I would really like to.

I still have a few challenges to overcome before attempting a turn based tactics game.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:40 pm

I think my main problem will be the enemy AI.

Each unit has action points that it must use to either move or shoot. I have some ideas about to do that within Construct however, I am not sure how I will be able to iterate through the enemy units one by one. I will have to see about making a simple proof of concept soon.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Perhaps posting this in the "how do I..." section might be more useful for you, as you'll have more users that are prepared to answer questions and offer advice there :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Fair enough Brent. I will do that.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:15 pm

I finally started on my re-make of Rebelstar. Rebelstar is my all time favourite strategy game from the era of micro PCs. It was the fore-runner of XCOM and Lasersquad.

So far:
1. graphics mostly sorted
2. Solid layers done
3. Path finding all working.
4. I have started an initial implementation of the turnbased system. Each unit starts with a certain amount of "time". The actions cost time. I have worked out how I will do the enemy AI, I think it will be good enough to make a challenging game.

I intend to release the source when it is a bit further along. I will start a thread in the "work in progress" forum.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:55 pm

@czar
I remember those, really ahead of their time. I'm assuming this will be single-player, so you could look into creating some grid-based LOS systems using events, for player FOV, grenade area etc.

Here's a really quickly implemented grid LOS done for a game jam (click on Stealth Chess):
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=161638

If you're using a tilemap for the levels, Easystar is a good alternative to the stock pathfinding behavior:
behavior-easystar-js-pathfinding-for-tilemap_t129056?&hilit=easystar

For proper raycasting in C2 instead of messing with the LOS behavior or fiddling with sprites then the Chipmunk physics behavior is the way to go:
viewtopic.php?f=153&t=110815

Let me know if you want some pointers for that one, it can be tricky to figure out.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:25 pm

@mattb

CHeers, I will follow up those links.

My next experiement is implementing the turn sequence and making the enemy make smart moves. I have a few mechanics in mind which will mean the enemy is going to put more resources into responding to significant threats.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:28 am

Thanks for the links @mattb. The built in pathfinding was starting to do my head in with cutting corners etc - I will check out the easystar alternative.
B
S
G

Return to Completed Creations