Recording gameplay issue (NWjs, youtubers)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:17 pm

There are some serious issues with recording the gameplay of C2 games exported with NWjs.

FRAPS can't see C2 games at all. Many other video recording softwares record C2 games as blank screen, so there's the sound recorded only. I found two recorders (d3dgear and Action Mirilis) which work pretty well with C2 games, but even using those you must first launch the game and then lauch the recording software (it took me a while before I figured it out). Otherwise you will record a blank screen.

That would not be that big deal it if was only about recirding your game's trailer, but I have recieved messages from youtubers who wanted to record a gameplay review of our game and they couldn't record it, so they quit.

As you know youtubers are the main marketing power for indie games these days and losing them is really painful.

Anyone knows why there are these problems with recording C2 games? And if there's a solution to fix it?
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Have you tried Open Broadcaster Software? It's worked for me in the past.
You could also create a self recording edition using the User Media object.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:14 pm

newt wrote:Have you tried Open Broadcaster Software? It's worked for me in the past.
You could also create a self recording edition using the User Media object.

The issue is not that I have problems with recording it, because as I mentioned above, I've managed to record it with Action Mirilis. What concerns me is that we are losing youtubers and what goes after - promotion.

I don't think that the solution is to tell youtuber to use OBS or any other soft. They have their own soft they use and if they have problems with recording anything, they simply dump it and take another game. Why would they waste their time if there are so many indie games out there.

But I'm not talking only about our game. The issue is regarding all C2 games exported with NWjs so this may bring really bad light on C2. I mean... imagine that you made an amazing game which you know people are excited about, but now none youtuber can record and promote it. Your game dies very fast without YT promo.

So I thought maybe someone is aware why this is happening? Is it something related to HTML5 technology or C2 or NWjs? If we knew the cause we could have think of the fix for it.

@Ashley are you aware of this issue?
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks @newt! I haven't tested that yet but according to what they say it is exactly this issue. So it was fixed in NWjs 0.18.1, which is a good news. The problem now is that 0.18.1 still has this flickering issue. Well life can't be easy. Will play around with it. Thanks again for the link!
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:22 pm

The common streaming apps are Shadowplay & OBS.

I use OBS myself for all recording and streaming needs and I know many streamers prefer it as well.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:37 pm

According to the the link newt posted above, the solution is to add --single-process chromium option to the NWjs manifest file (package.json). I tried to build C2 project with NWjs manually with adding this option, but in result I could not launch my app at all - nothing happens after trying to run nw.exe.

I also tried with editing package.nw on exported project - same result. Is there some checksum which rejects the project after editing package.nw or is --single-process for some reason not compatibile with C2?

BTW: I have no flickering issue on 0.18.1 - that's cool!
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:54 am

The bug is currently ongoing. Note here:

new-nw-js-v0-18-0-doesn-t-work_t182920

We discussed it for awhile. :)

This bug also prevents MAC OSX games from having Steam Overlay or Achievements, since multiple processes on OSX cannot get Steam injection/monitoring going.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:25 am

I think this is a problem with the screen recording software if it can't record certain kinds of app. I'd report it to them. Can Chrome be recorded? If not then it's probably the same thing, so you can request support for recording games in Chrome.

FWIW there is a fairly recent ability to record the canvas and produce a WebM video download from it from within the browser, but that doesn't cover all cases like streaming.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:34 pm

I think the screen recorders are fine ane Construct 2 is the problem. If the youtubers can record any game from other engines than that means Construct 2 is the problem. If Construct 2 developers don't want to fix the problem, then just say so. Stop with all the excuses already , everything can't be someone elses fault.
Check out my awesome Android Game releases https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... ames&hl=en
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General