Recording gameplay issue (NWjs, youtubers)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:15 pm

newt wrote:I just did a vid with it at 1708, 960 of just particles, and it was way above 30 fps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bij2xFM3-uQ
Granted the ram kept going up, but it was at a slow rate.

Could this be a hardware issue?

Not a reliable test, you should use a fairly demanding game with a 16:9 ratio and record in today's standard, which currently is [email protected]
You will notice heavy framedrops in fullscreen mode or slowly but steadily increasing memory usage in maximized windowed mode.

At some point I will try to report this to the NWjs team but I bet that they will redirect me to somewhere else because their browser isn't the only one that crashes while using the canvas recording feature.

Besides that, even if it would fully work as intentional, you'd still have to work around the relative game resolution "issue" that C2 games have.

EDIT:
Your uploaded video is in 480p and you can also notice how it stutters, which kinda proves my point about the framerate issues.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:58 pm

OK, I tried.
There's no work around, and no point in even trying to use some other method to record let alone make games in Construct 2 any more as your Youtube overlords can't be arsed to try something else.
I thought I was hard up, using depression as an excuse for a lack of creativity , but geez, not releasing a game because it can't be recorded beats my pickle.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:45 am

newt wrote:OK, I tried.
There's no work around, and no point in even trying to use some other method to record let alone make games in Construct 2 any more as your Youtube overlords can't be arsed to try something else.
I thought I was hard up, using depression as an excuse for a lack of creativity , but geez, not releasing a game because it can't be recorded beats my pickle.

Unfortunately youtubers are the most powerful marketing "tool" we - indie developers - currently have. I do understand your point of view if you are not releasing any PC game currently. Most of devs on this forum don't care about this issue because it's not their problem (yet). Same goes for the screen flickering issue BTW.

But for a person who spent months developing a game which is just about to be released to Steam it's a different story. The point is that you can launch the game only once. And this is the time when you get an overall buzz. The time when youtubers contact you via KeyMailer and similar systems. If you won't use this time the right way, your game gets burried and you can't really do much later on - or at least it is much harder.

I also understand youtubers who simply dump the game which gives any recording problem. They need to have clips published frequently to keep their business and they have a lot of games in queue all the time. Why would they bother trying various tricks if they can simply jump to the next one? Unless it's an anticipated game, they have no reason.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:45 am

I'm curious too if there's any frameworks around or games published using Electron that people here know about? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:05 am

newt wrote:OK, I tried.

Sounds like you're still living in the late 90s buddy. :P

Platforms like Youtube are slowly talking over your conventional TV entertainment, I mean just look at younger audiences for a second.
There are more young people watching entertaining videos or streams than the classic TV shows that we most-likely grew up with.
If you need more legitimate numbers as proof, feel free to use Google or Yahoo if you don't want to roll with the Google "overlords" as well.

BackendFreak pretty much summed up the rest, so I don't feel the need to tell you the same things all over again.
All I'm saying is that you shouldn't underestimate the power of those kind of platforms, especially not in 2016+.
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:20 am

Well, reality check then.
We're not getting a native export.
Fraps hasn't been updated since 2013. No idea of what the paid versions get.
Getting people to update third party software isn't viable anyway.

Am I all caught up?

The options are:
Self recording.
Exporting to a platform that can be recorded, such as Edge, W10 Uap, Firefox, etc. Did someone say demo?
Using third party software that can be pointed at the correct instance, such as Obs.
If you can't work with that then I am sorry, and perhaps you should just give up.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:00 am

newt wrote:Well, reality check then.
We're not getting a native export.
Fraps hasn't been updated since 2013. No idea of what the paid versions get.
Getting people to update third party software isn't viable anyway.

Am I all caught up?

The options are:
Self recording.
Exporting to a platform that can be recorded, such as Edge, W10 Uap, Firefox, etc. Did someone say demo?
Using third party software that can be pointed at the correct instance, such as Obs.
If you can't work with that then I am sorry, and perhaps you should just give up.

I must say that encouraging to give up on fixing C2 problem by C2 user is at least weird. Why would we? I love this engine and I want to be able to build fully working PC games. If there are chances I can do it - I'll give it a shot. I personally think that it should be more Ashley's concern than mine, but as he's not really interested in fixing this one, I'll give it a try. I much rather fail than not to try.

Also there is still a hope that NW.js team can fix it as I mentioned here. Flickering issue is already reported, so we'll see.

If both flickering and recording issues will not be fixed. Then another solution will be switching from NW.js to Electron. But we will need a bunch of new plugins for that. @Armaldio is currently working on those: http://armaldio.xyz/electron-plugin and it might turn out to be our future. I already tested the Electron build (provided by Armaldio) of capx from flickering bug report and I had no flickering there, so it looks promising so far.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:31 am

For what it's worth, Hypercam works with NWjs. Everyone uses OBS these days, though.

I mean, if some recorders work with NWjs and others don't then I would have to agree with Ashley and say they're at fault, not C2 or NWjs. Hypercam's doing something right. Framerate still sucks though.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:08 am

Just a little note about the custom Electron exporter:

Construct 2 free edition users are NOT allowed to use the Electron desktop exporting method and its plugins!
Please make sure that you own a personal or business license, if you don't own one of those two you are violating the rules (section: B) of the licensing agreement.

People that want to test out the beta plugins made by Armaldio, feel free to join our discord server and visit the "electron-export" channel for more information.
We will soon create a topic in the C2 forums that should give you an insight on everything.

Thanks and sorry that we interrupted this topic, we don't want to get into any legal issues with Scirra.
~Armaldio & Testers
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:02 pm

@TheRealDannyyy
Cool, thanks :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext