Recording gameplay issue (NWjs, youtubers)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:34 pm

The screen recording problem is categorically a problem with the screen recorder program. I would still say that even if we made our own native engine and a screen recorder app could not record it. I have nothing further to say. You will get nowhere trying to persuade me to fix someone else's app. Go and report the issues to the authors of the app which doesn't work. Please don't use this specific case to pile in any other complaints you have, they are not related to this specific case of a screen recording app not working.

BTW if you have issues with the latest version of NW.js, we provide the older versions specifically so you can roll back to a working version if the latest version has any issues. I'll get a 0.18.5 release out soon anyway.

Also, our old native engine with Construct Classic also depended on tons of third party libraries, including some official DirectX components that hard really bad bugs and caused big headaches. So you will never get away from this, all software depends on third parties.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:00 pm

i give up.... jeeez
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi,

Quick test with OBS (at 30fps) and nw.js 0.18.6 (app source: gamepad test by Ashley from github) Win7-64b nw.js-32b arg --single-process

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6xbluug9vmy09c/2016-11-04%2015-33-42.flv?dl=0

Regards,
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:44 pm

MadSpy wrote:Hi,

Quick test with OBS (at 30fps) and nw.js 0.18.6 (app source: gamepad test by Ashley from github) Win7-64b nw.js-32b arg --single-process

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6xbluug9vmy09c/2016-11-04%2015-33-42.flv?dl=0

Regards,

So it's fullscreen capture? Not just windows capture?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:49 pm

I'm not at home so I don't have a test capx with fullscreen now but I will do it soon
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:58 pm

The defenses used here are equally valid if Construct 2 was a tool using Adobe Flash "Everything is a third party software!"

However, in regards to a screen recording issue, it is a known issue that Chromium and NW.JS create many instances to run a single page (which is hidden by NW.JS as a "native app" through wrapper). This is an issue inherent in the specific choices of HTML5 and its wrapping options based on Chromium.

If Flash was chosen as the basis of Construct 2 would there really be such an accepting response to "But it's not my fault the browsers are all killing Flash!" ???

Native has, is, and will continue to be a standard of all platforms, because you need native to run the emulators/interpreters/browsers/Flash plugins.

The design phrase "Less is more" was never more clear than when I look at the "many options" I have to export my C2 games to and none of them work for my entire customer base on Steam, let alone the other platforms our game was planned to come out for.

So yes, the fact that so many screen recorders don't work with Construct 2 NW.JS exports is an issue that Scirra must be concerned with in some form.

Scirra may be unable to fix it themselves at all, but to be concerned and using its large(r) industry standing/PR power and fanbase as leverage to apply pressure to the NW.JS staff to apply pressure to Chromium developers (officially as a company, not just "C2 users individually requesting"), is what Scirra's paying customers would expect from the developer of the product they purchased. If Unity or Unreal Engine 4 was doing half the things Construct 2 is doing to me you can bet I would be in their forums complaining too.

Edit: Also any NW.JS verison from the "most stable" 0.10.x to the newer post-NodeWebkit-rename are equally wreaking havoc on my game in different ways. Not a viable solution, especially when Steam Greenworks breaks in some way at every change too.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:37 pm

Just throwing it out there that a handful of YT'ers that made videos on my demo seemed to have problems as well. A few of them stuck it out and figured out a way to make it work but who knows if I missed out on some who just gave up. As a developer, one of my main goals is making running my game and things associated with that (like streaming, capturing) as easy as possible.

I've been fine with the issues and response to issues from Scirra for the past year and half that I've been using their software. However the response I'm seeing here from Scirra is pretty disappointing and got me pretty bummed.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 pm

Not trying to dismiss the NW.js problems and their severity, but a certain group of youtubers, reviewers and let's-players are braindead morons (please excuse the profanity). We had *a lot* of issues with them at work, with products made in Unity, Godot and VizRT. Some require spoonfeeding in a way that you get why they make videos for a living and not a decent job ;-)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:19 am

Ashley wrote:I'll get a 0.18.5 release out soon anyway.

@Ashley could you please wait for their 0.18.6 release, it's just that they confirmed the single process fix for that version of NWjs recently.
Would save you the effort of creating another installer just for the fix. ;)
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Jayjay wrote:Scirra may be unable to fix it themselves at all, but to be concerned and using its large(r) industry standing/PR power and fanbase as leverage to apply pressure to the NW.JS staff to apply pressure to Chromium developers (officially as a company, not just "C2 users individually requesting"), is what Scirra's paying customers would expect from the developer of the product they purchased.

The screen recording issue is nothing to do with NW.js or Chromium either. It's a problem with the screen recorder.

I don't understand what you even expect me to do about this? I can't fix the screen recorder apps, it's not our software and many of them are closed source. All I can do is ask them to fix it. You can do that yourself, and the more people who do it, the more likely they are to take it seriously as an issue. Don't overestimate our influence, even browser makers shrug us off unless there is a tide of users behind us.

What more can we do? What is your best-case scenario here? Do you expect me to disassemble a screen recorder and fix it from the assembly code or something?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General