Regenerative walls

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:29 pm

Hi !
One of my current projects. I'm trying to do some stuff.

http://canapin.com/construct/tolilo/04/
update : http://canapin.com/construct/tolilo/07/

arrow keys, click to shoot

The map in the editor is only made with squares. I made an event to automatically replace the edge squares by slopes when the map is loaded (I mention it, maybe it could interest someone).

Without / with slopes (click the picture to view both) :
smoothedges.png

I also tried to make a somewhat neat regenerating effect. Looks like an inverted particle effect but that's made with bullets and fade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Coin-coin le Canapin on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:32 am

I'm definitely interested in knowing how u did that event on the slopes!
In fact, i would like to see the whole capx (if u dont mind), because u have done a great job here.
Those regenerative walls are truly nice!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:27 am

This is too cool for school! Very well done.
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:55 am

Savvy001 wrote:I'm definitely interested in knowing how u did that event on the slopes!
In fact, i would like to see the whole capx (if u dont mind), because u have done a great job here.
Those regenerative walls are truly nice!

I guess it's for Fatal Revenge ? :)

Short version :
I first draw my level with tiles because it's way faster than drawing my level with actual sprites.
Then a loop replaces all the tiles by blocks sprites. During this, for each tile it tests for every other tiles in corners and replace some with slopes (as different sprite frames) if necessary.
slopes.png

capx :
destroySquares.capx

You'll need the platform+ behavior.
I also made little changes by adding slopes in inner angles (just the bottom ones, not the upper ones) since I uploaded the screenshot (click to view the full image) :

edges00.png

It can still be improved to round single squares but it will need about 5 more frames and more events.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Coin-coin le Canapin on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:42 am

Sweet. I can see a lot of uses for this kind of system. Super awesome, Keep it up!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Thank you :)
The next step will be automatically adding and removing slopes in real time on holes created by the player. Not sure how much it will slow down the game however.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Awesome! :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:19 pm

Nice system. The performance should be fine, just loop through the tiles in a square that bounds your explosion radius. You could have a set of jagged-edge sprites around the holes instead of slopes, & could probably get away with a larger tile size in that case (since you're faking extra detail & won't see squares).
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:18 pm

mattb wrote:Nice system. The performance should be fine, just loop through the tiles in a square that bounds your explosion radius. You could have a set of jagged-edge sprites around the holes instead of slopes, & could probably get away with a larger tile size in that case (since you're faking extra detail & won't see squares).

Hi,
I didn't understand your jagged-edge sprites thing (my english isn't very good).

However I did a try while looping through the regarding blocks :
slopesinholespic.png

The player made a hole on top of it and my events created a nice slope on the upper left corner.
But that's very slow and my computer has an unpleasant tiny freeze when the hole is created.

You can try it here : http://canapin.com/construct/tolilo/05/

And that's with only one slope ! I didn't make the three other ones.

Here are my events :
slopesinholes.png

It starts to be complicated !

I'm not sure why it is that slow : when the player shoot on a straight wall, it select all the blocks on the radius border : that makes around only 10 blocks, and we test for the presence of two blocks for each of these blocks. That makes my events iterate over 20 blocks.

Or maybe I have an issue in my loop. Maybe the "for each block" in my second function ?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:08 pm

@Coin-coin le Canapin

Indeed Fatal Revenge :-)
Regenerating terrain gives lots of gameplay options.
Not sure yet how i am going to use it.
Maybe the whole set can be destroyed & regened, maybe just parts of it.
Blasting something apart, and then seeing it being reconstructed has a definite "wow" factor that i like.
Because Fatal Revenge has a massive amount of bullets onscreen almost constant im now thinking about what route i should choose with this regenerating terrain.
Slowdowns are not wanted in such a game, so after testing later this week it will come down to small structures with this feature or large, or something like a doorway wall giving access to specific parts of the arena.

Thanx for sharing this.
Its super awesome!
B
S
G

Next

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests