Removing plugins from capx

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:58 pm

I have some redundant plugins I'd like to strip out of my project file. Does anyone know how to do that?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:34 am

I may be wrong but doesn't removing reference to them delete them from the CAPX? You might have to delete the saved CAPX with C2 running the project and resave as a fresh file.
Check out my projects on my Google Play page.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:59 am

I agree, if you can open your capx in c2 then deleting the plugin from there is the easiest way.

Outside of the editor if you are using a project folder or if you unzip the capx file to a folder, then you can open the .capproj file and there's a list of plugin's used toward the top.
To remove a plugin manually you can remove that line, and then scroll down to the list of object types using that plugin. From there you can get the object name and then you need to search all the layout and event sheet xml files for occurances to that name and remove it. I've used notepad++ to help finding the name in all the files.

If you miss something or mess something up c2 will give a file and line number which may help. You'd probably want to backup the project beforehand.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:39 am

R0J0hound's answer is pretty accurate but there are a couple of caveat's to be aware of and an understanding of XML structure is imperative.

Be careful when selecting the XML open and close nodes for deletion. Sometimes it's quite obvious what to delete - a whole 'Event_Block' for instance - but it can get trickier if it is only certain 'Actions' or 'Sub_Events' that need removing.

I recently removed the WIIU plugin from a users project and whilst whole sections can easily be recognized - 'Event_Groups called 'WIIU' for instance - other times it may be just one 'Event_Block'

Anywho, as R0J0 says, make a backup before you start and have fun. It isn't as difficult as it first appears.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks guys :) Good to know it's doable.

FatesjokeStudios wrote:I may be wrong but doesn't removing reference to them delete them from the CAPX? You might have to delete the saved CAPX with C2 running the project and resave as a fresh file.

Do you mean in-editor? I never saw a way to get at certain plugins from within there.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:50 am

Plugins are under the 'Object types' section of the 'Projects' window.

Deleting the plugin 'Object type' here will remove the plugin and delete all events etc that are used/referenced by the plugin.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General