Removing plugins from capx

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Rotate & Animation for 16 Direction & Mouse Direction
  • I have some redundant plugins I'd like to strip out of my project file. Does anyone know how to do that?

• I may be wrong but doesn't removing reference to them delete them from the CAPX? You might have to delete the saved CAPX with C2 running the project and resave as a fresh file.

• I agree, if you can open your capx in c2 then deleting the plugin from there is the easiest way.

Outside of the editor if you are using a project folder or if you unzip the capx file to a folder, then you can open the .capproj file and there's a list of plugin's used toward the top.

To remove a plugin manually you can remove that line, and then scroll down to the list of object types using that plugin. From there you can get the object name and then you need to search all the layout and event sheet xml files for occurances to that name and remove it. I've used notepad++ to help finding the name in all the files.

If you miss something or mess something up c2 will give a file and line number which may help. You'd probably want to backup the project beforehand.

• R0J0hound's answer is pretty accurate but there are a couple of caveat's to be aware of and an understanding of XML structure is imperative.

Be careful when selecting the XML open and close nodes for deletion. Sometimes it's quite obvious what to delete - a whole 'Event_Block' for instance - but it can get trickier if it is only certain 'Actions' or 'Sub_Events' that need removing.

I recently removed the WIIU plugin from a users project and whilst whole sections can easily be recognized - 'Event_Groups called 'WIIU' for instance - other times it may be just one 'Event_Block'

Anywho, as R0J0 says, make a backup before you start and have fun. It isn't as difficult as it first appears.

• Thanks guys Good to know it's doable.

I may be wrong but doesn't removing reference to them delete them from the CAPX? You might have to delete the saved CAPX with C2 running the project and resave as a fresh file.

Do you mean in-editor? I never saw a way to get at certain plugins from within there.

• Plugins are under the 'Object types' section of the 'Projects' window.

Deleting the plugin 'Object type' here will remove the plugin and delete all events etc that are used/referenced by the plugin.

• I just did this, and was able to successfully open the old project; but now whenever I try to preview or export the game, it will no longer run. Everything works just fine in-editor.

Been trying to open up and tweak one of the first games I ever made, been having a rough time since RexRainbow doesn't give out his old plugins anymore.

• All of RexxRainbows addons are still available on Github. Use Google to search this site for link.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • All of RexxRainbows addons are still available on Github. Use Google to search this site for link.

The ones in particular I need were for multiplayer before C2 had implemented it, something Rex doesn't make available anymore. I sent him a message but he says he doesn't support Construct anymore, so he can't help me out there.

Anyways, I removed the plugins from my project, the issue is that the game wont start; both in preview and export. It gets stuck on the loading screen. Is there a fix?

• I think a more in-depth explanation would be that whenever I attempt to preview or export the game, it always get stuck while loading anywhere from 80% to 100%. After that, the page freezes and I am unable to open the console or interact with anything, and the game never starts.

I attempted to use a loader layout to see what would happen, but the screen just stays black. I used Notepad++ to remove all mentions of the aforementioned plugins, and have checked multiple times. The CAPX loads up fine, it's just that the game is unplayable.

Is this a lost cause?

• Usually, the main reason for such a lock is an infinite loop, usually from a function or 'While' condition, etc.

You can try to run it in debug or use the browser addon to write debug info to the console.

Last resort would be to post your project so others can test and help.

• Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, as of now I haven't been able to find anything that's in an infinite loop, and I can't run it in the debugger because the game won't start at all, and as such that prevents the debugger from loading.

Here's the URL to the CAPX.

Hopefully somebody will be able to help.

Please excuse how messy and poorly programmed the entire CAPX is, I made this back in 2012 when I was just starting out with Construct 2; hopefully it isn't too much trouble to navigate.

• It seems that FRGen is too big - it's running out of memory. If I just drop it to 448x268, things start up. I didn't get further than that.

• It seems that FRGen is too big - it's running out of memory. If I just drop it to 448x268, things start up. I didn't get further than that.

Thank you so much! FRGen was part of one of the things I thought I had deleted, I guess I hadn't noticed it was still there and messing up the game.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)