Rendering speeds

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
  • Some of you may have noticed somewhat sluggish results when alot of different textures are created, or objects with many effects.

I am happy to announce (and this is not an April Fools joke ) that by the tests done, I measure an increase of up to 1000%. Pixel Shader 0.0 operations (such as additive) have also been increased by around 200% in speed, and I hope to optimize other PS effects.

When 0.94 is released, it'd be good to collate some testing information of the general increase .

• Okay, out with it. How much of your soul was traded for that kind of increase?

In all seriousness, I am interested in what change you made to the rendering engine specifically. Were there any sacrifice along the way?

• Captain its called Optimalization, you get faster program by deleting useless or changing slow algorythms without loosing anything (exept your time).

• Silly Doppel, Captain knows about optimization. But that's just a general thing. I like to know what KINDS of optimization. It doesn't have to be a senior thesis on the thing, just a nice couple of paragraphs that make me say "hmm, that's very interesting."

• I think maybe he optimalized the whatsits by twiddling the thingumers.

Just a guess.

• Silly Doppel, Captain knows about optimization. But that's just a general thing. I like to know what KINDS of optimization. It doesn't have to be a senior thesis on the thing, just a nice couple of paragraphs that make me say "hmm, that's very interesting."

You can compare sources of 0.93 and 0.94 =D

• Just because I'm interested in the stuff doesn't mean I have experience with it. I don't even have a compiler. What's got you so defensive about this?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just because I'm interested in the stuff doesn't mean I have experience with it. I don't even have a compiler. What's got you so defensive about this?

Boredom i guess...

• Well, it's much more efficient to send commands to the GPU all in one go (in a batch) than separately. I hadn't realised effect rendering wasn't batched, so was just a matter of fixing that.

• And NOW I say, "Hmm, that's very interesting." And it is. Thanks, Ashley!

Doppel, I may not be a programmer (one semester of Java doesn't really cut it) but I still like to be in on this sort of stuff. You and I might get along better if you would consider my future inquiries as innocent and harmless, and perhaps realize I'm not some kid vying for attention.

• Doppel's just mean. I mean, look at that avatar... it's just mean.

It's all "I hate you because I can't figure out this magic eye puzzle behind me."

• If you think there's a flamewar warming up here, I have a bucket of water for you: Flamewars Get Threads Locked.

• No no im not flaming XD, just talking and that behind my avatar is 80x80x80 piece Rubik.

Edit: Like this one http://youtube.com/watch?v=97CMSfwdfHo

• About optimizations... Is construct sorting objects that share the same texture? It's a lot faster to draw similar things at the same time, so the GPU doesn't have to swap textures all the time.

...But I guess you're already doing this, right?

(Or maybe that's what batching is? I'm not that good at this kind of stuff)

• Flamewars Get Threads Locked.

No flamewars, I was just joking around with Doppel.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)