Repeated Steam instability

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:03 pm

There is definitely something wrong with the way Construct 2 launches on Steam. I have tried it many times and it fails to launch or crashes during use.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:51 pm

[QUOTE=Nightgaunt] Dig through the forums and you'll find quite a few threads (many resolved bug threads) where users on Steam are unable to get Construct 2 to start up. Usually, a new update or switching from the stable release to the beta or vice versa will fix the problem. But given how often these issues are cropping up, it seems to me there must be a core problem that's going unresolved. Scirra has said it's an issue with the Steam launcher, and that's likely, since I gather these problems don't happen in the release downloaded from Scirra. But it seems to me it's in everyone's interest (Steam, Scirra, the users) to get something like this fixed.

I suppose maybe I'm just frustrated and trying to vent, or maybe hoping that bringing it up more generally will get someone to take it seriously, but I also want to know who else has experienced this problem and if it's as common as it seems. If you work on Steam--especially if you use it regularly and update with every beta version--have you ever had a problem getting the application to start?[/QUOTE]

Not to be contrary... I own the Steam version and have NEVER (never) had a problem launching it or using it.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:27 am

I've never had an issue with C2 and Steam myself.

Unless Scirra hears some details back from Steam that solve the issue I think the way to resolve it is for Scirra to release a limited steam beta (requires beta key) that authenticates differently (like the Scirra official purchased version)

This way, the installation doesn't change, and only thing changes is the auth method. If the users who have the Auth Beta C2 have issues, then it's C2. If they have no issues, it's Steam. (Because the only difference is auth method)

Other Steam games/software have closed beta updates that require keys (Borderlands 2 does), and if non-communication/run-arounds happen then this is the only option that covers all bases.Thndr2013-10-12 01:28:11
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:21 am

I have steam version, and have experienced many many issues, and therefor recently got non steam version and I can say there is a remarkable difference.
It is like I'm using a different piece of software. All my grips with steam have washed away by using the non steam version.

Why is this, haven't a clue, and I feel sorry for ashley because it doesn't make sense.

I will add that steam is completely unsupportive. This whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I vow, I will never purchase software from steam again. I will rather buy straight from developer.

DUTOIT2013-10-13 10:24:14
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Steam is great when it works but sadly these problems do surface every now and again. If Steam want to be taken seriously they need some kind of returns policy. Doesn't matter whether you buy something digitally or as a physical copy, you should have a right to return it if it doesn't work as intended. Their one-to-one customer support is a joke.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:22 pm

I would like to report, that I'm still using standard (non steam version) [Thank you so much Tom] and I have not had a single issue, I mean nothing, nada, zip.
When using steam version I was crashing all day long, and countless other issues.
When using standard version (non steam) I haven't had a problem, even the closing the program glitch has disapeared.
I have been using it a lot recently too, so really been pushing it.

Bottom line: I am so thrilled that I am going to purchase business version now (standard, non steam off course).

For those who look at steam forums for construct. Steam has deleted many topics related to any mention that steam causes instability with construct2 and other programs (one day they are there, next they are wiped out)DUTOIT2013-10-26 12:25:53
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:13 am

Luckily no steam problems here, but it really sucks if it doesn't work and there aren't even decent reasons for it. Really wonderous since Steam normally works fine and is a great platform imo.
Visual Novel 'Engine' in 100 Events
if you ever have to choose between buying Construct 2 on scirra.com or on Steam, read this: Review
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:04 pm

I too have the exact same issue i have been trying to develop full time but this bug is driving me insane. I can use C2 normally but it just randomly wont respond. And there seems to be just no answers from anyone. The free non steam version works fantastic.
B
G

Post » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:53 pm

Hey everyone, I have had Steam issues both on my crappy old Vista PC and again on my shiny new 1k Windows 8 PC. I appreciate it's a really difficult thing for Scirra to solve if the code is almost identical, but I think there definitely is a problem somewhere.

The only slightly helpful things I have to offer are my personal observations, namely that I almost always experience a crash when the Steam 'Update News' dialogue appears. I turned this off and it has helped me to reduce the crashes for sure. I can't be certain on this next bit, but I believe I also noticed a few issues when another Steam game starts to update. So it could be along these lines, or that could be a complete red herring.

The crashes are slightly less on my new PC, but one thing that persists is this: after a while using C2, and seemingly at random, the event sheet editor will be come extremely slow. It practically grinds to a halt when you try to edit a parameter and it loads the 'objects with expressions' box. I too thought this was an issue with my machine until I upgraded
B
S

Post » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:10 pm

This thread is a few months old now - since it was posted we made some fixes our end which seems to have helped, and I'm pretty sure it only affects a small number of users, since lots of people use it on Steam but we don't get many reports of these types of issue. If there's still trouble though then it sounds likely it's Steam that's causing them. The Steam version of Construct 2 is almost totally identical to the one we publish on our site. The biggest difference is just that it checks with Steam if it's been purchased or not as opposed to using our own licensing system, which is a relatively small and simple change and it's hard to imagine that causing a variety of weird issues like you describe. On top of that everyone always reports the version from our site works OK (which is weird since it's almost identical) and @SecondDimension's report seems to correlate problems with Steam activity, which seems to be further evidence towards Steam causing the problems.

I'll follow up again with Valve and see if anything can be done. If you really have trouble then I'm afraid the best course in the short term would be to get a refund from Valve (we can't do this for you - Valve handle all payments and accounts on Steam) and purchase again directly from us.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General