Request a Tutorial

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:54 pm

The thing that'd help the most in my game-making is the creation of a high-score table/scoring system tutorial, whether it be by use of .INIs or arrays, complete with an "enter your name" option.

While Verve does have something like this, it's not quite the same (at least as a "traditional" high score table; for what it's worth, though, it like the rest of Verve is an excellent starting point), and I think there could be some benefit in giving a clear-cut guide towards making a high-score table.

I've searched high and low on the tutorials and the "help using construct" forums, and while I've saved any useful bit of info into a word doc., there's nothing really dealing with the topic itself. Usually there's a "this is a strong foundation into making a high-score table" or "this works as a rudimentary version" and stuff like that.

Believe me, if I knew how to do it, I'd make a tutorial for it, since it seems to me (through my searching) like an oft-requested feature.EmperorIng3602011-07-14 22:57:01
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 pm

I would like to see lessons for creating 3D, you can make them? I would be very grateful! Well, if there is a link to a lesson,it was a lesson, I would not have abandoned it
B
G

Post » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:40 pm

@Woltermag

You do know this is primarily a 2D game creation system, don't you? 3d support is quite limited.

Regardless, there are many examples of dealing with 3D concepts in THIS THREAD.zenox982011-07-28 14:44:02
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:23 pm

clear, well, thank you!
B
G

Post » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:47 pm

What I would love is a A* Algorithm tutorial for construct; I can't wrap my head around the damn thing!

I'm not sure if you guys know what it is, but I found an article here that describes it. I get the general idea, but I have no clue where to start!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:37 am

Phobos, the RTS behavior is A* Algorithm.
Do you really want to reinvent the wheel ?
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:48 am

GRR security error and I have to type this post again...

The RTS behavior has 10x10 cell size, and my enemies are 5px large. This is problematic as they would not be ale to fit through 1px wide gaps.

This also wouldn't work because the enemies take 5px steps after a set time. Having them glide towards the player in a non-fixed fashion would make it look awkward and unfitting with the rest of the game.

In this case, yes, I do want to reinvent it, or at least build a shoddy wheel made of wood and dress it up and paint it, making it look new.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:02 am

After reading the tutorial you linked, my first suggestion would be to raise the size of your ennemies to 10X10 px and use the rts behavior. This will be the quickest, less painful way of doing things. ^^

Else, if you really want to handle A* as construct's events...

For starter, be sure that the hotspot is in plain center of your sprites.
Your depart will be your ennemy sprite, the target is your player sprite.

So ennemy.X and ennemy.Y are your first node.
Save its position to an array that will act as your open list (prepare also an array that will be your closed list and another array in which you may save F,G and H)

To find adjacent nodes you add/substract 5 to your actual node's X and Y to find the center point of your next node.

From there, follow the steps of the other tutorial.
You'll have to set and test F, G and H's values (as described in the tut).

To adapat the manhattan method you'll have to determine its position in relation with the current node (is it on its right? on its left ? up ? down ?...) and apply the correct calculation.
Using the example in the tutorial target node is right ahead from depart node.
So the calculation would be: H = ((Target.X - Ennemy.X) / 5) * 10
(The distance between the X is "reduced" to the number of nodes between Target and ennemy(/5) and then the cost is added (*10). 5 here is your node width.)

The calcul would be different for each direction.
Lets pretend the target is one case above than in the tutorial.
Calcul would be : (((Target.X - Ennemy.X) / 5) * 10) + (((Ennemy.Y - Target.Y)/5)*10)

Then make sure that 5 pixels around your next node's center there is no object making it "unwalkable". Save its status to the correct array (open or closed list).

Depending on your level of confidence and ability with Construct this might be hard to realize.
If it too much, by all means, stick to RTS behavior. This will be the simplest and most effective way to do.

This answer is by no mean comprehensive but it should helps you get started if you really want to handle codewise.Kyatric2011-07-31 10:06:39
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:49 am

I was wondering if someone could make a tutorial showing how to make a top view map? I want my gameplay to pan out somewhat like the Civilization games. So a world flattened out that I can scroll around however I want. I want to see if it is possible to have maps randomly generated so I don't have to have premade maps?
B
G

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:06 pm

I am almost certain there have been tutorials for mini-maps and map scrolling a la Civ games. I recommend checking out Jamesx's Tutorial List topic, as nearly anything and everything worth mentioning is in there.

For Construct Classic, btw.

EDIT:

I'd also like to reiterate my request for a comprehensive How to Make a High-Score Table tutorial, preferably with arrays. :D EmperorIng3602011-09-12 12:08:06
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files