REQUEST - better timing for c2 engine

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:02 am

newt wrote:I usually just brute force it with a blank subevent, and a system wait action.
Wait however many seconds it takes to go your speed, set xy.

At worst it will look like a frame skip.

thats what i did in an interface that scrol down and worked but the problem is that
if someone is creating a bomb for example that explode in X second it will have that problem.

B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:12 am

AFAIK it is not possible to do this between frame (like, lets say the 1 second just happen between 2 redraw, you will get the irregularity, that should be lower than the refresh rate), also I would recommand using a timer rather than a wait but that is more so you do not have to remember that wait and is irrelevant (unless the timer is more precise)

as for the framerate independancy, not only it is important in real time multiplayer, it also prevent having the refresh rate issue (a game running at a V-sync of 60 Hz or 120Hz will run the same, without it, you ahave a frame rate dependent movement that, well, will be twice as fast on a 120 Hz display rather than on the 60Hz one), I'd say if you want perfect accuracy you would have to create a way of placing it exactly where you need it at the last tick.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:40 am

This article pretty much sums up dt, fixed with this algorithm.
http://blog.sklambert.com/using-time-ba ... implement/
Bushy Ball\Boatman Bill\Sticky Web\Snake

Image ImageImageImage

During the gold rush it was a good time to be in the pick and shovel business
B
S

Post » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Thx
https://www.facebook.com/TeslaPCgames

https://www.twitter.com/TeslaPCGames

[email protected]

http://www.synergy-studios.net
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:59 pm

For any game with high dependence on collusion checks, I highly recommend the "slowdown" feature.
It is amazing in terms of compensation on lower frame rates and keeps everything smooth.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:37 am

TheRealDannyyy wrote:For any game with high dependence on collusion checks, I highly recommend the "slowdown" feature.
It is amazing in terms of compensation on lower frame rates and keeps everything smooth.

What is the "slowdown" feature?
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:09 am

megatronx wrote:
TheRealDannyyy wrote:For any game with high dependence on collusion checks, I highly recommend the "slowdown" feature.

What is the "slowdown" feature?

It is a system action called "Set Minimum Framerate".
You set a number from 1-60 and if the framerate goes below that number the game goes into a "slow-motion" state,
which is great for compensating collusion checks on low-end devices that usually cannot get up to solid 60 frames.

However I do not recommend this feature on timer based games, it could give low-end devices an advantage because
they might get more time to react to things while the game is in slo-motion.
I usually set it to 30 because that is the framerate where collusion checks tend to get tricky to handle.
I also only recommend it on the main game layout and not on layouts where it is technically not required. (Menu layouts for example.)
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:41 am

TheRealDannyyy wrote:It is a system action called "Set Minimum Framerate".
You set a number from 1-60 and if the framerate goes below that number the game goes into a "slow-motion" state,
which is great for compensating collusion checks on low-end devices that usually cannot get up to solid 60 frames.

How could I forget that such feature existed?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:02 pm

glerikud wrote:
TheRealDannyyy wrote:It is a system action called "Set Minimum Framerate".

How could I forget that such feature existed?

Yeah it is one of those features which got us surprised because it got denied for being "not required" several times before.
It is nice and we appreciate it of course but it has been added way too late, the community even found a self-made solution for this
with events, even thou it works technically not the same as the added system action does.

Release r210 added the feature I believe, anyway you can scroll down and find a better explanation how it works HERE.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General