[request] Breakpoint in Loop and Trigger

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:05 am

I find it really very limiting not to have these two possibilities in the debugger .

this is unacceptable , you pay a license for a professional software, and debugger is not even functional.
Already simply using it considerably reduces fps which was the execution of the program, and slowed the development of the application,
but working without breakpoint during a trigger or a loop is incence .

playmaker unity can be done without problem , so why not construct ?
B
S

Post » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:13 am

Very limiting indeed, though it's unlikely to change ; from the manual :

"Limitations
Unfortunately due to the architecture of the Construct 2 engine, breakpoints cannot be placed in the following locations:
- Anywhere inside a triggered event, including any sub-events to a triggered event
- Anywhere inside a looping event (such as Repeat or For each), including any sub-events to a looping event
In other words, only non-looping events which are checked every tick can have breakpoints set on them, or be stepped in to."

Something to consider for C3

It is to do with the nature and architecture of every engine, they all have their limitations. You can still use the JavaScript console of your browser if you know your way around it, and revert back to "old" debugging techniques such as outputting infos to a debug log / array / xml / etc. that you can inspect

As for performance, it is expected with any tool or language that debugging will impact performance negatively ; simply due to the overhead of the debugging itself.
Game Producer & Independent Developer - http://raphaelgervaise.com
B
S

Post » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:51 pm

Yeah I always find myself wanting to put a "break" in my loops. This can be gotten around (sort of) by using a break condition to things in the loop so they are skipped. e g

foreach bla
if not skipBla
do bla bla bla
do more bla

It doesn't really do what a real break would do, but given the advantages of the current event system, it seems like a fair trade.
Follow my CZero development on twitter https://twitter.com/CaptainZeroGame
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General