[Request] BulletML

0 favourites
  • Prolific game developer Kenta Cho (you may have played his games, e.g. Noiz2sa, Torus Trooper) made a XML-based system for describing complex bullet barrages in shoot 'em up games called BulletML.

There is a BulletML plugin for Construct Classic (totally incompatible, I know), but about a year ago this japanese guy ported BulletML to JavaScript, so I'm confident it's possible.

Take a look at some of the bulletml.js demos.

I'm not a programmer, but I think it would be amazing to have this functionality available in Construct 2 and I'm looking for someone who's capable of porting BulletML or even adapting bulletml.js into a Construct 2 plugin.

• Nobody? This looks pretty interesting.

• What can it do that the C2 can't already?

• newt

An external string/text format of description, or said it is a protocol of spawning bullets.

• But I don't have interesting to make this plugin

1. I am busy for rewriting documents

2. some platforms like cocoonJS does not support XML

• But I don't have interesting to make this plugin

1. I am busy for rewriting documents

2. some platforms like cocoonJS does not support XML

Bummer, your list of plugins is very impressive.

You're right, CocoonJS does not support Construct's XML object. Though technically it doesn't have to, as in the end it would just need to read .xml files, which could be done in JavaScript, I think. See the bulletml.js sample files.

• Construct's XML object, like all plugins and behaviors ARE JavaScript.

You can link bulletml's SDK all you want, all it does is read XML files and execute functions out of it.

You could very well program this in events yourself, nothing a plugin would really add here.

• Construct's XML object, like all plugins and behaviors ARE JavaScript.

You can link bulletml's SDK all you want, all it does is read XML files and execute functions out of it.

Well, no shit.

It would seem I won't find any help here. This is why I hate internet forums so much. Thanks for nothing.

• I'm not a programmer

So that's why you seem to be missing the point of all the answers in this thread so far.

Example :

Rex - XML object doesn't work in cocoonJS

You - Yes but maybe JavaScript will make it work

Me - The XML object IS made in JavaScript AND SO does not work in cocoonJS

You - %fgt@%$µ%*µ - No help ! Bloody forums...

You can act all offended and mighty, the truth to the matter is you have no clue what you're talking about and it's not because you don't like the answers you've been given that those answers aren't helpful.

They are. You just don't want to put the effort in.

Good luck on the internet and in game making in general.

• To be fair, there's nothing stopping javascript from reading XML, regardless of platform. It's just text anyways.

• > I'm not a programmer

>

So that's why you seem to be missing the point of all the answers in this thread so far.

[...] the truth to the matter is you have no clue what you're talking about and it's not because you don't like the answers you've been given that those answers aren't helpful.

They are. You just don't want to put the effort in.

That is incredibly condescending. I'm not a programmer, therefore I cannot possibly understand anything about programming? Come on.

I think you're missing the point of me asking for a plugin. I know it could also be done with a bunch of complicated events, sub-events and whatnot. But oh hey, there is this language for directly defining complex object movements (BulletML can be used for a lot more than just shmups, you know) so I don't have to. Neat! I'll go ask on the forums if someone's willing to help me.

"can't be done because arbitrary reason X, you can do this with events, you have no idea what you're talking about."

Geez.

• That is incredibly condescending. I'm not a programmer, therefore I cannot possibly understand anything about programming? Come on.

It's not my fault if your posts so far let that appear.

I think you're missing the point of me asking for a plugin. [...] so I don't have to.

Oh so that's the part where I talked about you don't wanting to put the effort in. Yes, I think I'm missing the point...

"can't be done because arbitrary reason X

True, technology/software implementation is completely arbitrary.

To make an analogy, you asked if we could make a car fly, we said no because of technology/design reasons and you point out an helicopter and stress that it does fly, and so we're just mean and not willing to help out.

You might consider me condescending, I'm just pointing out what you have posted.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Its not that hard really, especially when you consider we have the bullet object, in fact I would wager that you can do more from eventing than you could using xml.

Besides, the drawbacks are pretty big:

A: A ton of objects in javascript is a bad idea to begin with.

B: Xml would require additional libraries, Ios, Ie, etc. don't support it.

C: You are limited to what commands are available to Bml, whereas in C2 you can do what ever you like, hence my question of what can it do that C2 can't.

Try it on your own, you might like it. If you need suggestions... ask away.

Complaining that nobody wants to make you something, bad idea.

• You might consider me condescending, I'm just pointing out what you have posted.

Here's a hint: There are people who, even though they might have some coding experience (or just feel like they're not up to the task), are not comfortable calling themselves programmers. Ask yourself why that would be.

--

I realize you guys must be getting a lot of 12 year olds asking "how maek MMORPG" questions.

I'm not asking because I want someone to do all the work for me, (believe me, even if I would, I'd never have even signed up on this forum) I'm asking because I know this could be done in a way which would benefit everyone working with C2. A plugin would make a lot of cool stuff possible (again, see for yourself), but above all enable people like me, who lack the time or the skills to be a Real Coder™ to make better games. Which Construct is all about, I think.

Unfortunately, you have decided to meet this idea with hostility and FUD, derailing the thread and apparently have other priorities besides crushing every chance of someone even wanting to help me, so I'm off doing this by myself. Sadly, in a way which benefits no one.

So thanks, again, for nothing.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)