Request: Custom Layout Shapes?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:56 pm

@Ashley (Sorry to bug you again)

Would it be possible to make Construct 2 able to make custom layout shapes instead of the regular box? I feel it would streamline game design and help eliminate some of the need for complicated cameras in certain games like platformers and stage-type games.
One thing it would prevent is the camera going of the "level" while following the player, e.g. the player is next to a wall and half the camera is in the wall, or making the ceiling high and having the camera halfway through the floor.

Would this be possible? It could be a feature to create custom layout shapes and sizes using boxes and rectangles.

Maybe the layout can be designed using boxes and rectangles that are multiples of the window size.

I think this has a lot of potential uses.

Thanks for the time spent reading and possibly replying to this!
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:16 pm

Sorry but I don't see much logic on this. You should control your camera instead. Use methods like this https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/747/zone-based-camera-movement and use unbounded scrolling if needed.

There is no way the camera would automatically know what to do on what ever the layout shape is.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Why don't you just position your play area away from the edges of the layout?
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:14 pm

@Colludium you don't get it, the edges of the layout act as a lock for the camera so they don't stray from the playing area.

@Katala, thanks for the tutorial, but how would I go about making that?
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:08 pm

@Nesteris,

I think I get it - perhaps I should explain a different way. See the example below - you don't have to permit the player to be near to the edge of the layout if you don't want.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Colludium on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:03 pm

You can download the CAPX from the left side of the page.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:18 am

Turn on unbounded scrolling and you can implement custom scroll bound logic for any shape.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:50 am

I used Katala's suggestion, took a bit of tinkering to implement it into my game.

Thanks for the replies! I think this is gonna be my last post for a while as I got everything figured out for now.

Thanks for the amazing help! :)
Banned User
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General