[REQUEST] Developer to set FPS

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:40 am

Apologies if this has been a recent discussion...

So, I've been trying to find ways to deploy across various platforms to include mobile. Aside from the CJS/GC/Ejecta discussion, I find that deploying to mobile (browser or CJS) yields changing results according to processor load, how modern the handset is, number of objects that instant etc. The problem as I see it is that my poor old mobile and tiny computer/phone is trying to yield 60 fps and, if it can't, it tries its best to give as close as it can at any given moment. If only I was trying to write a game of othello...

My coding must suck, because I can't seem to demand a constant load on the cpu which causes the framerate to vary, with a consequential degradation in the user experience.

As a workaround, what does everyone think to allowing the developer to set the FPS for any given game? Instead of stressing out trying to provide 60 fps (and only giving between 40 - 55 fps) my mobile would be able to relax, chill and comfortably do the required maths to render to 30 fps...

Just a thought. Am I alone?
I only occasionally visit - I'm learning C# for Unity, but c2 is still a respectable game engine imo....
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:23 am

I want this too, to ensure there is no variation of FPS, and also it could be an interesting debug feature (you know, to see how much you are better than 60 FPS, and when to starrt to worried that something begin to be too much intensive and might be a problem later).
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:50 am

I want this. Fixed at 30fps, rather than a subtle change in frame rate every now and then.
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:55 am

Agreed, if it's possible to do something like that, it would be a good feature to have.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:12 am

+1!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Whats next a cap on cpu?
In other words this doesn't do what you think it does.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:41 pm

A way to cap the FPS while testing would be great at the very least, as some bugs only occur at low FPS (like falling through floors, missing collision detections etc)
+101 (to counteract newt's strong objection ;) )

If we could cap the FPS while testing, we wouldn't have to deploy the game to an actual weak device to make sure we've fixed the issue for low end devices.

Also ,capping the FPS so that its constant can make a games overal play experience better that an PFS that changes frequently due to whats going on on-screen.

-Mike
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm pretty against this. It seems a backward justification: if your intent is to prevent degrading the user experience, then implementing a framerate cap will degrade the user experience on high-end devices that are perfectly capable of 60 FPS. Give it a couple of years and then everyone's got more powerful devices which are capable of 60 FPS, and you're unnecessarily degrading the experience for everybody. So I don't really buy that this improves the user experience.

With delta-time variable framerates should still continue gameplay at a steady rate. Perhaps you could provide an in-game option to reduce the number of sprites/effects to a "lo-fi" version to help it run faster if the player doesn't like the variable framerate. Also I think most casual players are far less sensitive to framerate issues than we are - I remember a few years ago crappy software-rendered Flash games staggering along with a horrible framerate still going viral all over the web... and once I saw someone on a plane playing a Bejeweled clone at 4 FPS... completely rubbish, but they didn't seem to care!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:24 pm

I have a question, since I absolutelly don't know about that:

@Ashley

more fps induce more calculation in the same amount of time?
and If so, does it drain faster the battery of a mobile device?

EDIT: Also, I see this a previewing option at leastAphrodite2013-11-09 14:25:55
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Perhaps, but the biggest drain on battery on modern devices is the screen. If the screen is on the same amount of time, then whether the game ran at 30 FPS or 60 FPS probably won't make a bigger difference than the fact the screen was still on that whole time. Meanwhile you want your game to look good on high-end devices compared to other games, right?Ashley2013-11-09 14:36:50
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General