[REQUEST] Draw Trails

Post your work in progress addons and get feedback

Post » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:23 am

@gamecorpstudio
The canvas plugin is causing the cpu usage when webgl is on. Basically it has to copy the canvas to a texture every tick. If you disable webgl it's fast or alternately you could use the paster object instead.

@dellong
Nice examples. I didn't think of using the circle for the rainbow, but it looks effective. The only issue you'll run into by fading the canvas like that is the images never fade away completely do to rounding, unfortunately there's nothing that could be changed to make it better. It's more noticeable on certain monitors or if you look at the screen from an angle. Still it's a good effect that I'll use again.

@bilgekaan
If you're interested in existing solutions you can look here for one using sprites:
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=164029&p=992930&hilit=trail#p992930
It can be tuned to not use as many objects if performance becomes an issue.

For trails with textures the paster object would need to be used.

@newt
Paster's draw textured quad action handles this well, notion special needed to be done for repeating textures.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/542 ... aster.capx
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:32 am

R0J0hound wrote:@gamecorpstudio
The canvas plugin is causing the cpu usage when webgl is on. Basically it has to copy the canvas to a texture every tick. If you disable webgl it's fast or alternately you could use the paster object instead.....

i see ... i did tested the paster object runs blazing fast compared to the canvas i always avoided it ..however they seem to have the same issue all of them doing the same thing even if u do it by spawning normal sprites in the 2d canvas or in the canvas plugin or even in paster ... they all create sprites ... none draws ... which is something that i think is really needed for c2 ... paster does have that option to draw shapes based on coordinates however i need to test it more to understand it ... thanks again for reply :D ur plugins are awesome ..

i wonder if someone could strip down paster from all other functions and keep only the drawing to coordinates or spline ? part but then it will need a fade out on them or some behavior to create the fadeout effect of the trails ... if its used for that purposed. but as newt said ... is not that simple
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:57 pm

@R0J0hound For some reason I was thinking more along the lines of multiple instances replicating how the CC trail object worked, but yeah yours works.
It is called Paster after all I guess.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:38 pm

@R0J0hound Paster plugin example is awesome, thank you!

I didn't use paster before. How much would it effect the performance?

gamecorpstudio wrote:i wonder if someone could strip down paster from all other functions and keep only the drawing to coordinates or spline ? part but then it will need a fade out on them or some behavior to create the fadeout effect of the trails ... if its used for that purposed. but as newt said ... is not that simple

Yeah it would be really nice.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:34 pm

I didn't use paster before. How much would it effect the performance?

It's just drawing to a texture instead of the screen so it would be equivalent to drawing lots of sprites, or in the case of the example, 30.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Message: IceManLT can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 2 URLS modified. Why?
R0J0hound wrote:@gamecorpstudio
The canvas plugin is causing the cpu usage when webgl is on. Basically it has to copy the canvas to a texture every tick. If you disable webgl it's fast or alternately you could use the paster object instead.

@dellong
Nice examples. I didn't think of using the circle for the rainbow, but it looks effective. The only issue you'll run into by fading the canvas like that is the images never fade away completely do to rounding, unfortunately there's nothing that could be changed to make it better. It's more noticeable on certain monitors or if you look at the screen from an angle. Still it's a good effect that I'll use again.

@bilgekaan
If you're interested in existing solutions you can look here for one using sprites:
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=164029&p=992930&hilit=trail#p992930
It can be tuned to not use as many objects if performance becomes an issue.

For trails with textures the paster object would need to be used.

@newt
Paster's draw textured quad action handles this well, notion special needed to be done for repeating textures.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/542 ... aster.capx
Hey I know it's of topic but maybe you could give your email I woud like to talk with you :) (I can't send dm because I don't ahve enough points)
B

Previous

Return to Work in Progress Addons