[Request] Global Layers (for HUDs, menus, etc.)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:38 pm

I thought I replied in this thread before :P

Yes. I agree +9000 for a form of Master/Inheritable layout.

While I tend to use prorammatic cross level HUDS now. A visual style would be more appealing.

I've used the design of Global objects for HUDS. which does work. but then require more management to destroy/hide/rebuild when going to layouts and screens that don't need them.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Nice to know my modest proposal has support. We'll wait and see whether Ashley will implement it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:41 pm

+1 from me too.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:54 pm

[QUOTE=jayderyu]

While I tend to use programmatic cross level HUDS now. A visual style would be more appealing.

[/QUOTE]

I'm using a generated HUD and although it's a piece of cake to add the Hud Event Sheet as an include to any layout, a problem manifests when you want to apply the HUD to a unique layer in or on top of a Layer Sandwich. The problem is that for everything to work dandy you must have defined the layer on the layout on which you want the HUD to appear and unless I've missed a trick you can't create a new layer on the fly. Therefore you have to at a minimum visit every Layout in your game and create the "hud" Layer which as has been alluded to from the OP onwards can be very long winded.

There are 10 types of people in the World, those that understand binary and those who don't.
B
S

Post » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:58 pm

@Bertie Booster Or just plan from the start and add a HUD layer each time you create a new layout. I am now going with Creating a template layout with all needed layers and then duplicating it to make my other layouts.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Global layers would be nice, but what I really wanted was a way to have the same WebGL effects on all layouts without having to go adding/configuring them one by one..andreyin2014-01-21 19:00:35
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:23 pm

Well, a couple of builds have passed, and no sign of this feature, but I'm holding out hope.

Though, I suppose making changes to the HUD over multiple layouts hopefully isn't gonna be a big hassle as long as I know what I'm doing.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Couldn't you (for now) use events to call objets and spawn them at a specific place. You put that in an event sheet and you include it in specific layouts.

I don't think this is the best way to go, but for now it seems to be the way to go. I agree with the OP, this is something we need.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:52 pm

one "trick" i use now, is make a global string variable for every layername, and use the variable to request the layer, its easyer also, because its in the autocomplete, this fixes any renaming you should have, but doesn't fix the problem of adding/removing layers on multilayouts and would be very helpfull.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:19 pm

I definatly would like the option of a global layer :)

My current approach for bigger projects:

I use dedicated layouts as object holders and an event sheet called HUDevents, which builds a desired hud on a uniform layer named HUD.

When using dedicated object layouts, I came to find that splitting it up really helps here too.

In one of my subfolder of layouts there will be a HUD folder, with a dedicated objects layout for every needed hud type.

Here I can mimick/duplicate the desired effects my HUDevens sheet would build on start of layout once included on any desired layout.

Prevents clogging up my layout editor too and keeps my HUDs very managable.

Who dares wins
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General