[Request]Isometric Tilemap Support

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • Any plans of implementing Iso tilemaps in the future, imported from Tiled? Any interest in doing a plugin for it maybe? Our main alternatives when working in 2d are topdown, sidescroller and Isometric. It´s kind of a bummer to be left without the last.

• I also need for this. A must have.

• Although a bit of a hard work, isometric isn't all that hard to implement if you have time. Would be nice to have native support, tho.

• I would like to second this one. There are plenty good 2D games made with Isometric and it woudl be nice to have Tiled support for this too.

• Any news on that? Maybe after the multiplayer cycle?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I made an example of how to draw isometric map to two tilemaps. For any efficient use you probably have to make your own editor or maybe you could make the level on normal tilemap and load it from there. It's still work around solution and I would't have anything against this . With this method your tileset would use double the memory necessary. Also as far as I know there is no way to load tileset at runtime and I would very much like this.

Download example

• I made an example of how to draw isometric map to two tilemaps. For any efficient use you probably have to make your own editor or maybe you could make the level on normal tilemap and load it from there. It's still work around solution and I would't have anything against this . With this method your tileset would use double the memory necessary. Also as far as I know there is no way to load tileset at runtime and I would very much like this.

Download example

thanks for the example ;] hope we can have a native solution soon

• +1 for this. Some of my favorite games of all time use an isometric layout and I wanna make those kind of games too.

• There's really no such thing as isometric support. If they were to add something for iso it would require all the plugs that work off of 2d to be rewritten.

They could add expressions to get the isometric projection for those 2d objects, or you can figure those out for yourself.

The added memory you speak of Sheepy could be minimized by simply setting those 2d objects to transparent.

• I don´t get your point newt, why all the plugins would have to be rewritten? We´re talking about the possibility to import an Iso .TMX file from Tiled, not projecting a 2d tilemap on a isometric grid. That, I agree would be too much work.

The way it is now, it´s almost impossible to edit a isometric map in a sane way.

• Isometric is very much doable right away. Just thinking could it be possible to implement some more tile offset options to tilemap. Like for every other row or so. It is just much more efficient to use one object for larger maps than tens of thousands single tile objects.

Also this was a big help for me to get started on isometric. http://clintbellanger.net/articles/isometric_math/

Specially this:

[quote:mmxasfrx]And with some simplification we get the basic formula for isometric projection:

screen.x = (map.x - map.y) * TILE_WIDTH_HALF;

screen.y = (map.x + map.y) * TILE_HEIGHT_HALF;

• And especially this:

[quote:h1kzdb62] It's the way that isometry is handled in the Tiled map editor, so it's definitely a good approach if you want to use that tool.

So all you really need is to convert the tmx to iso xy's using the formula Katala quoted.

But you also have to keep in mind that isometric maps aren't all set up the same way.

The user has to decide where x, and y start, and offset from there.

For example: regular 2d 0x, and 0y, would be the upper left, but in an isometric map that would literally be somewhere over in left field, as in not even on the 2d map.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)