Request: more choices for hot spot of tilebackground object

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:41 pm

@Ashley , I have no reason to doubt you. I thought that at some time I'd read that the sprite object supports more functions, therefore C2 has to calculate more stuff for each and every sprite, so we should use the Tilled Background whenever we can to avoid performance drops. It seams I misinterpreted that, the actual instruction probably was "don't use multiple sprites to create tilled images, use a single Tilled BG..."

Never the less, the benefits of having animated and fully controllable pivot-wise tilled sprites are too many, weighing the implementation or not of this functionality based on the existence of the now redundant TBG is irrelevant in my opinion. Just Keep the TBG for overall coherency and backward compatibility.

@shinkan , you are right, with tillable sprites this phenomenon should cease to exist.
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:21 pm

@eli0s I think that would be resolved by putting a "tileable"checkbox, so, if it`s tileable it would ignore the collision polygon and just use the bounding box, etc.
This would resolve @shinkan problem also, because the pixels will be tiled, not stretched, as in regular sprites.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:31 pm

@CleitonEldron , I agree. I just think that the "tillable" option should let us choose if we want all animations to be tiled (a global checkbox), or to specify which of them will be and which of them won't be tiled.
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Its sounding more, and more like a behavior.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:04 pm

newt wrote:Its sounding more, and more like a behavior.

Maybe. Thing is, it wouldn't make sense pairing it with anything other than sprite...so why not just bundle it in with sprite? I like the idea of an enable/disable tiling toggle.

eli0s wrote:Just Keep the TBG for overall coherency and backward compatibility.

Once the tilable option was added and the bugs worked out, TBG could just 'disappear' from the plugin list. However, it would still be in the plugin folder, and loading any old projects would just load it in (though, perhaps C2 could provide a message that TBG's are now obsolete, and highlight TBG object in red or something).

Any new users going to add TBG's wouldn't be able to, and will head to the forum and find that they can use sprites instead.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Well I doubt that a behavior is doable anyways.It was just a thought.
Im just worried there might be some unforeseen issue adding something new to the most used object.
On the other hand there's nothing wrong with adding a brand new object either.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:45 pm

yeah. I wouldn't touch tiledbg or sprite either. Just make it as a separate object for users to use if they really need it.
Hey, You will get 3 objects that do 3 different things to choose from instead of one uber object.
And like always if one thing can do everything than it probably can do nothing xD
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:37 am

Ideally a new build of C2 would convert existing Tiled BG objects into sprite objects with the tiled image option enabled, then leave it up to the devs to combine them into a single sprite object with frames if they want, unless that can be done automatically.

If that is not practical, then keep tiled BG's around but inform users in the manual that it is obsolete due to the sprite object's new feature, and eventually remove it from C2.

We definitely do not need a whole new object just for one feature. That means 3 very similar objects that must be individually maintained, and can't be used in families.
A "tiled image" behavior is interesting but I don't see it being used on anything other than sprite objects, and isn't even compatible with, say, 9 patch.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:54 am

That would be cool to combine them, though you wouldn't want the "crop" tool to add a 1 pixel empty border around an image your using to tile as the sprite object currently does. With the merge I hope the offsetting feature is added too, so that the texture can move within the sprite. Although it would be fantastic to have that texture offsetting added to the spritefont object first, so that we could use multiple colors in our text Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:45 pm

offset and scale texture - mega combo request xD
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General