Request: Right-to-left language support

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:07 am

For those of us who want to support non-English languages in our games, I think we need right-to-left support? For instance with the SpriteFont object, every new word/character is added from left-to-right (even when you choose "Right Alignment") but I don't think this works with languages such as Arabic and Hebrew so it would be good to have an option. Thanks.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:50 am

+1
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:43 pm

Type backwards? If you have right alignment when don't you only need to do is type the message backwards. I'm sure it's very annoying, but it sounds like a stopgap solution in the mean time.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:55 pm

jayderyu wrote:Type backwards? If you have right alignment when don't you only need to do is type the message backwards. I'm sure it's very annoying, but it sounds like a stopgap solution in the mean time.

@alspal Or you could copy the text object in to Canvas plugin by R0j, and then invert its width. plugin-canvas_t64239
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 01, 2014 2:01 am

jayderyu wrote:Type backwards? If you have right alignment when don't you only need to do is type the message backwards. I'm sure it's very annoying, but it sounds like a stopgap solution in the mean time.

That would make translation frustrating and inefficient, not to mention you'd need to manually test many times where each piece of text would line break (because it would be breaking it in the left-to-right fashion.

megatronx wrote:Or you could copy the text object in to Canvas plugin by R0j, and then invert its width.

Almost sounds good! But I think it might still require you to write the translations weirdly. And flipping the glyphs/symbols individually after importing them into the SpriteFont would be a pain.

It's really confusing to think about.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 01, 2014 2:55 am

alspal wrote:
megatronx wrote:Or you could copy the text object in to Canvas plugin by R0j, and then invert its width.

Almost sounds good! But I think it might still require you to write the translations weirdly. And flipping the glyphs/symbols individually after importing them into the SpriteFont would be a pain.

I was suggesting to copy whole text object, not individual fonts. But maybe sprite fonts don't work the same as text object? Didn't know that.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 01, 2014 4:42 am

@megatronx I think I was confused there.

The solution that's needed is to do with the "Right Alignment" "word wrapping", in our language strings we'll already have the translated words written from right-to-left so what we need is for the sentence to break correctly when word wrapping to a new line below. I think?

Here's how it looks now when you write this string "nine eight seven six five four three two one" (you read from the right to left).
You can see it didn't format it well, as it's incorrectly forcing you to read from bottom-to-top as well.

Here's how I think it should be shown with a right-to-left:
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 10, 2014 6:09 pm

alspal wrote:

That would make translation frustrating and inefficient, not to mention you'd need to manually test many times where each piece of text would line break (because it would be breaking it in the left-to-right fashion.

How do u do your translation in c2 ?? any capx sample ?
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 12, 2014 1:43 am

B
S
G

Post » Wed May 14, 2014 6:50 pm

B
S
G

Next