Resolution question

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:43 am

On further investigation I've come to the following conclusion.

A 4:3 ratio game running on a 16:9 widescreen monitor or TV is stretched a little bit, but not as much as you'd think.
I can't say how it looks on a 6:10 monitor because the one I have is not connected to a computer at the moment, but I will hook my laptop up to it at some point to see how it looks.
I imagine it's not going to look that bad.

As for making a game in widescreen, I think the way I'll go eventually is to do what Niffla did with Knytt Stories, and create the game in 4:3 and put my own borders in there. :D

Also, and I'm yet to do any performance tests on this, I think that rather than changing resolutions of the users computer, it may be best to hide the title bar of your game so that it floats without borders, get the current screen resolution on the users computer and change the window size to those, and then position the window at 0,0.

Early tests on this look good, but as I say, I haven't done any performance tests on stretching this way.

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:51 am

[quote="KrushBrother":339z4qxt]A 4:3 ratio game running on a 16:9 widescreen monitor or TV is stretched a little bit, but not as much as you'd think.[/quote:339z4qxt]

I don't notice any stretching when I do that.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:54 am

OH jesus wept, not another "how do I do widescreen on regular and the other way around yada yada blah blah" threads.

Do it in a window, there, problem solved, next!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:14 am

Is something bothering you today LMK? You seem to be in a rather snippy mood according to your posts tonight.

Alternate response:
Wash the sand out of your vagoo before I punch you in it. :twisted:
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:46 am

Hmm this is weird I didn't know 5:4 is so common (I use it but still)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:30 pm

[quote="deadeye":3r97bn21]I don't notice any stretching when I do that.[/quote:3r97bn21]
Really?
How does it appear on yours?

Maybe you're not seeing it because it is slight.

If you make a new app at 640x480 and create a tiled background 32x32 with pixel edge and a different colour interior, and then set it to fill the whole screen area, when you run it in a window they're perfect squares, but run it fullscreen and you can see that there is slight stretching horizontally.

Lost My Keys, what the hell is your problem?
Why post in a thread that doesn't interest you?
If you think you've got screen resolutions sorted (and that thread I referred to earlier is far from conclusive proof) then good for you.
Now take that bug out of your arse and let the forum serve it's purpose.

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:49 pm

[quote="deadeye":bnuu94ks][quote="KrushBrother":bnuu94ks]A 4:3 ratio game running on a 16:9 widescreen monitor or TV is stretched a little bit, but not as much as you'd think.[/quote:bnuu94ks]

I don't notice any stretching when I do that.[/quote:bnuu94ks]

Okay... this isn't entirely true. It doesn't stretch at all on my monitor, but it does stretch on my girlfriend's laptop monitor. I just discovered this this morning. I don't know what's up. Maybe a graphics card setting?

Anyway, it's looking like to be safe in fullscreen mode you're going to have to make custom sizing and black-bar-cropping stuff no matter what.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:38 pm

[quote="deadeye":3pwpyfpl]Anyway, it's looking like to be safe in fullscreen mode you're going to have to make custom sizing and black-bar-cropping stuff no matter what.[/quote:3pwpyfpl]
Well, I think the stretching of a 4:3 ratio game is minimal when displayed on both 6:9 and 6:10 ratio screens (no idea what it looks like on a 5:4 :lol: ), so I think I'll go for 4:3 at 1024x768 for anything I create.

I've uploaded the results of my experiments the last day or so in the uploads section:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5758

It runs in a borderless window @1024x768, and stretches to fullscreen without changing the resolution with no impact on performance, and you're just getting the graphics card to do the scaling rather than letting the monitor do it when you change resolution.

I don't know what the OP got out of this thread, but at least it made me tackle something I hadn't got around to looking at. :D

Krush.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic