Retro Style Platformer Issues (Jitters And Shaking BG Sprite

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently switch from cocoonJS to XDK and im having alot of the issues that i tackled arise again on me for some odd reason.

Im having some issues with a Jittery Platformer Movement and some Jittery Background images that are set to Parallax scroll on the horizontal axis.

Im making a game using TileMaps and yes i have Pixelated retro style sprites.
I just posted on the XDK thread because of an issue that involved blackbars appearing on my mobile device,Once i fixed that i started to see that my platformer character is Jittering so much that it is just an eyesore and in my OP its unplayable like that!

What i tried to do was use True Pixel Rounding and set the players position to Round(Player.X) Round(Player.Y) But still was able to see jittering plus i seen a 1-2 pixel wide gap underneath my player mask(Which i thought was fixed)
Im really at my wits end with the jittering player,What is the definite fix for this.Only thing i came up with was True Pixel Rounding. Thanks guys,Im sorry for being frustrated i didnt want my mood to alter how i talk on the site.
GMO FOOD = DEATH
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:31 pm

Anyone Know how to fix the jittering? I cant export a game in this condition.
GMO FOOD = DEATH
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:08 am

Did yountried with pixel rounding on Off?
Last time I tried to do a pixellated game, point sampling was enough to do what I wanted (but that was a long time ago though, so that may not be the ideal solution)
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:59 am

@Aphrodite That was my first guess,I messed around with all of the settings and when using Tilemaps it forces you to use specific settings if anyone forgot about that.

Ive toggled most of them on and off and still seem to see a bit of jitters,I ended up lerping my camera for smoother movement and it has worked somewhat but some jitters are still visible in the character mask and background sprites.
GMO FOOD = DEATH
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:12 am

I did not though about tilemaps, and some people seems to not have great results with the seamless mode ofthe tilemap either, if it is a retro style project using point sampling, the low quality setting may do the trick for the tilemap, but I cannot guarantee it.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:08 am

Jittering can be caused by a number of things.

-Game resolution
-Player movement speed
-Camera Code
-Parallax Settings
-Project Settings

Only way to get perfectly smooth scrolling in low-res games is to move the player the same speed as the refresh rate..but uh..yeah..y'know. Or you can disable pixel rounding and use high quality fullscreen scaling..but then your graphics move on "sub-pixels" and you risk seams as well.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:46 am

Yeah, the most sure way to get smooth updates for pixel-graphics is to move your player by whole integer increments for every update. Whether or not that's a good solution for you depends on pixel fidelity I guess? You could try moving by 0.5 and round() as well. In theory that means the player moves 1 pixel every second update. Other than that, best way to go is like Tokinsom said and use high-quality scaling/no pixel-rounding. It'll get you non-square pixels but if the screen resolution vs game resolution is high enough it may not be noticable.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Thank you guys,I really wish i would of known this before i started my retro style game,It seems like anyone that wants to create pixel games is in for a rough time using construct 2 and there are plenty of post complaining about Seams,Jittering....ect.
I think alot of these issues need to be addressed @Ashley because this is something a new person would not know unless they dug deep within the forums before they bought the product.
Any possible way to make it easier on people that use retro style graphics would be a plus,There should be no possible way that someone should have issues with something like the Movement,In my OP shaking and jittering is really unprofessional looking,I played tons of games on mobile that are pixel games but run so smooth you couldnt tell.
GROWTOPIA for ANDROID and IOS is a free to play platformer and is a great example,Im trying to mimic the smooth movement and can not.

Thank you all for posting here @ErekT @Tokinsom @Aphrodite i will try my luck with your logic.
GMO FOOD = DEATH
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:41 pm

As always share a .capx or all we can do is wildly speculate. If I were to wildly speculate I'd guess you used an animated platform object and the animations are causing the jitter.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:47 pm

Some of the issues with seams have already been solved. If you turn off pixel rounding, set sampling to point, and fullscreen to letterbox integer scale, you can play with the fullscreen options at runtime (browser: request fullscreen, for example) to get good results.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General