Retro-style sfx creator

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:33 pm

[url:1mi1s9dz]http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html[/url:1mi1s9dz]

If you're working on making a retro 2d game then this might be useful. You can randomly generate sounds in several different styles ("jump", "power up", "menu select", etc.) and change a number of variables to make a new sound.

Honestly, it's kind of fun just tweaking the settings and seeing what kind of sounds you get.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:42 pm

lol! That's awesome! Without any effort I immediately made the noise that old C64 Aliens game would make, when one of the Aliens moved towards you, that scared me so much the first time I played it as a kid, that I switched it off for a week before daring to play again hahaha. Ahhh, memories. :D
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:18 pm

How strange that this has never been posted :shock:

I had to double-check the forum just to make sure. It's pretty much the go-to SFX maker for retro games. A very nice tool.

Just a heads up... sometimes when exporting a .wav you will get a sound that plays in WMP or other media programs, but not in Construct. I think it's a header issue, and SFXR is exporting the .wav incorrectly. Construct is just picky about proper .wav format. At least it used to be back when I made This Cursed Rock, it might not be a problem now.

Anyway, if you get a sound that won't play in Construct, just re-export it, or re-encode it with Audacity or something.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:51 am

Pretty cool. Sure beats wrestling with Orangator :lol:

I checked out his other stuff and found that he's made a music editor/synthesizer, Musagi, aimed at replicating chip sounds. I love this! So gonna use it!

http://www.drpetter.se/project_musagi.html
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:20 pm

[quote="deadeye":1roqpxou]Just a heads up... sometimes when exporting a .wav you will get a sound that plays in WMP or other media programs, but not in Construct. I think it's a header issue, and SFXR is exporting the .wav incorrectly. Construct is just picky about proper .wav format. At least it used to be back when I made This Cursed Rock, it might not be a problem now.[/quote:1roqpxou]

I think its because you may have set it (in sfxr) to 22050 hz instead of 44100 hz. Sfxr sounds always worked for me, and I never changed the hz setting. From what I remember construct doesn't like sounds under 44100 hz.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:14 pm

[quote="inkBot":2r2mgq2q]Pretty cool. Sure beats wrestling with Orangator :lol: [/quote:2r2mgq2q]

Lol! I remember orangator! and granulab!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Have been testing Musagi today. So far I've got this.

http://www.box.net/shared/vf5g3hr95b

It's a pretty great program, some features are very handy. Like the ability to save piano roll patterns. It's great if you're working on a game soundtrack and have a recurring theme. :D
B
S
G

Return to Tools and Resources