Revahlen - SNES Style ARPG

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:35 am

Looks awesome! May I ask how you made the start menu with start/options? I am looking for a good/easy solution to make a menu controllable with a gamepad. If you hit up/down the menu elements should be selected. How did you make the menu with cursor controls?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Very, very awesome. I'm gonna tweet about this. Definitely bring it to the Wii U - all the earthbound and RPG fans would eat it up.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:24 pm

Alrighto, I took a few minutes to check this out. Sorry, didn't have the time to finish the demo, but here's something that I wanted to mention.

- In the very beginning after choosing new game, the level flashes on screen before the black fade in comes up. Just a minor thing, but it struck out for me.
- The world map tiles look very Final Fantasy VI. Almost identical. Was this intentional?
- Characters could use diagonal sprites at least for movement animations.

Right now I can say it looks very promising. The menu is very neat, too, and it must have been quite a bitch to make :D I can't say I'm a fan of the character designs, but to each their own. Let's just say that formal wear and a ton of hair gel may not be the best attire to wear when exploring dank dungeons full of flesh-eating giant bugs ;)

Sorry to sound kinda negative, but I'll try finishing the demo some other time and maybe give more in-deph feedback.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:28 pm

@Bl4ckSh33p
It's not the easiest solution the way I did it, but it works for me. The cursor contains a number variable I name "ui_index". I actually have variables "ui_index0/1/2/3" on it, but that's to maintain indexes through the various sub menus. I use control triggers to add or subtract from the index, and I place the cursor's x/y position based on the index. Something like...
Code: Select all
+ Every tick
-> Set Cursor.Position
   Cursor.X = SpriteFont.X-Cursor.Width
   Cursor.Y = SpriteFont.Y + SpriteFont.LineHeight * Cursor.ui_index

+ IF Control.Down is pressed
-> Add 1 to Cursor.ui_index
++ IF Cursor.ui_index > LastMenuOptionIndex
--> Set Cursor.ui_index = 0
+ IF Control.Up is pressed
-> Subtract 1 from Cursor.ui_index
++ IF Cursor.ui_index < 0
--> Set Cursor.ui_index = LastMenuOptionIndex

That's kinda the gist of the basic principles. It's based off of a zero-index. Of course, if you have several spritefont objects you need to put in a condition to identify which one the Cursor should set its position to.

@Manley23
Thanks for the props! 8-)

@Hasuak
-Yeah, the level flash is not really a feature. :P
-Good eye. There are a lot of design choices in the game that are heavily based on Final Fantasy VI, including the world map. I'm not entirely happy with how the towns appear on the map though, so those will very likely be changing, although trying to draw towns using as few 8x8 squares as possible is pretty tough.
-While I would love to do diagonal sprites that effectively doubles all of the frames I'd need to create and I'm the only artist on my small team currently, plus I'm the only programmer on the team. Oh well.

The menu's eventing in the current posted demo is so damn messy. In the revision it's so much more streamlined, so much cleaner.

There's no attire more perfect! ;) The vests are actually meant to be like brigandines, which ties into the upgrade system. You increase your HP by upgrading your Defense stat through armor plating that gets riveted into your vest. "But what about the limbs and face?!" hypothetical you hypothetically asks. It's an old school ARPG, don't think too much on it. That said, their outfit designs are always changing slightly the more my understanding of Victorian Era fashion improves.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:01 pm

Thank you very much.
I came up with something similar recently with my "The Escapists Companion", but I stored the index in a global variable.
In my first attempt I created an array filled with Y positions (on start of layout set 0,0=100;0,1=150;0,2=200 and so on) and then set the position of the cursor to the value from the array. :)
But I think I will use something else like image points instead of a list of coordinates next time.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:21 am

@TL22 - Anymore updates on this cool game?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:31 pm

A lot actually, @Manley23 ! Just nothing in a presentable form yet. I'm also finishing another game and beginning development on another, because I don't know how to properly prioritize.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:06 pm

Game's menu is invisible in FireFox. How did you manage that?
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:07 am

@Nesteris - which menu? I just tested it in Firefox and all the menus seem to be working fine.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:37 am

@TL22

The first menu that you can access. All the text is invisible and the only thing I can see is the picking arrow.
Are you using spritefont or fonts? The boxes could be slightly too small for the text causing them to become invisible.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests