Revert EXE to cap file

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Source File, music and art pack for Android Negotiator
  • Hello,

I was wondering if an executable created with Construct can be technically revert into the source file ? I have read a bit the source code of Construct, and the export mechanism seems to save the events directlt into the executable ressources. Thus, is it possible for someone to create a decompiler ?

• Technically, I believe so yes.

• I remember the same thing happening with Game Maker. It caused quite a storm I think. Fortunately, someone forwarded the code to decompile .exes to the main developer of GM and it's going to be fixed in the Game Maker 8.

http://www.messy-mind.net/2008/complete-gm-decompiler/

http://my.opera.com/smarttart62/blog/show.dml/339421

• If a decompiler was created, i don't think it would be nescessary to make all the .exes undecompileable (good work there me on creating that word. Thank you!). I would prefere to make it an option. Something like "lock .exe from decompiling".

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Is it the same thing as it would be for GM? That uses scripts, whereas the event format of Construct is pretty different. I'd imagine that to create a decompiler would be alot more work than just taking the script out the .exe.

• Welcome to the internet, where the trolls troll the trolls, and the hackers hack the hackers.

• yeah, i get the feeling that if it's possible, it will be done.

• Hmm do we really want our compiled projects to be reverse-engineered? If we wanted to share our project code, we'd share the cap, not compiled exe.

• [quote:1thuoprw]Is it the same thing as it would be for GM? That uses scripts, whereas the event format of Construct is pretty different. I'd imagine that to create a decompiler would be alot more work than just taking the script out the .exe.

Maybe just open the ressources of an executable to a CApplication like the runtime, and save the CApplication to a cap file like the IDE would work..

Anyway, I am not a hacker and I don't want to make a decompiler, that was just a question.

• A degree of reverse engineering is always possible in all programs (if you had the tools you can disassemble any compiled program back to assembly, for example - and this is especially problematic for .NET I think, which relies on obfuscators).

Considering the amount of work it'd take to reverse engineer a Construct EXE I'd say it's implausible for now - and remember you lose all edittime-only things like comments.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)