Robot 505 [DEVLOG] - WIP

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat May 02, 2015 4:32 pm

If I may, a couple games with good + satisfying shot to kill ratio:

Nuclear Throne (you can learn a lot from this one)
Mega Man (any of them really, but I recommend 2,3, and 9)
Gunstar heroes (this game is pure chaos, but still gives a good idea, and it's one of my personal favorites)

Not that you should copy these, but I found these games are all very satisfying when you blow things up.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 02, 2015 8:18 pm

I think the difficulty is well proportioned . Maybe an exit sign could help the novice player at the end of level.
Maybe a small adjustment enemies "brain flyer " who have too much HP ( especially those at mid height of a jump ).

Edit: Yeah i die on the elevator too ;) (But shooting from the elevator doesn't cause the weapon recoils effect)
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Awesome, Thanks for the references. I'll look into these games further @blekdar and yes, you may - anytime :)

Nice find on the elevator in respects to recoil @MadSpy I hadn't even noticed that. lol :D
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 02, 2015 10:52 pm

I love elevators' bugs @facecjf ;) .... may be you could say I like to find bugs , some could bear witness lol
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 02, 2015 11:01 pm

@MadSpy has a particularly excellent bug finding talent - I can also attest to that!
I only occasionally visit - I'm learning C# for Unity, but c2 is still a respectable game engine imo....
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 03, 2015 2:59 am

@facecjf I downloaded your latest NW.js but it still wasn't full screen... did you do Browser Object-> Request Fullscreen ?

also it's still "windowed".. not sure if that will make a difference. I was able to maximize it, but technically that's not fullscreen.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 03, 2015 2:37 pm

There should be a badge for that @MadSpy :D

I can see that @Colludium :) And by the way - I played your game. Quite challenging and creepy. My favorite way to die is in the water by the piranhas ;)

I meant too ;) @jobel - I had the Request Fullscreen disabled on accident.

Spent some time yesterday and early this AM to fix a few issues brought up, and re-worked a couple of other things.

Fixes :
    - Endless pit jump death restart bug : really fixed – seems it still would exist if you advanced to the next level with an extra life.

- Elevator / Recoil bug – Fixed

Tweaks / Adjustments / Adds :

- Camera positioning : When the player is not moving, and not in action (firing) you can hold up or down to look in either direction. The position of the camera is also adjusted to aid with “Leaps of faith”

- Elevator Signaling : I didn't want to add an action or switch to the elevator for I feel it mucks things up. Rather I added an indicator animation to the elevator platform that says either what position the platform is currently in or moving in.

- Gradient Added to Pits : The bottomless pits are more noticeable.

- Ammo / Amount / Frequency : Ammo drops are less frequent, and the amounts provided are random.

- Shoot to Kill Ratio : reworked this a bit. ( Thanks @blekdar for the homework ;) ) It's much easier out of the gate. (this isn't fully polished) I need to play around a bit more with some of the other weapons and their upgrades.

- Analog movement support : Analog movement is now added.

Links updated

Browser Version
http://facecjf.com/R505/

Desktop Version. (exported to NW 10.5 - zipped)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8xxt3ev3bg1lm1/R505.zip?dl=0

Thanks again everyone for testing it out and providing feedback. :) It's rather helpful to say the least.
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 03, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi,

May be you can set the cursor mouse to none on start layout condition ;)
It seems the cam scroll (quickly) to the top of your layer/layout when the player falls in the deep of pits and dies.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 03, 2015 3:36 pm

That is supposed to be fixed! @MadSpy lol Thanks, I'll look into it some more.
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 05, 2015 3:24 am

Robot 505 - Demo Update :
(v0.1.4 - pre alpha)

Fixes :

Random Death Bug : player would randomly explode – Now fixed
    Camera Quick Return Bug : camera would quickly return to the start position (thanks @MadSpy !)
    Elevator camera control bug : sometimes disabling the camera control on elevator wouldn't work - should be fixed
    Crusher not killing player on first hit : (I think) I have fixed this. It's super random, and from what I can tell maybe a result of NW and collisions.

Adds / Tweaks :

Refined the weapon shoot to kill ratio further – I feel there is room for more.
    Added more dynamic explosions
    Added a bit more screen shake
    Refined the analog movement in relation to camera controls

Browser Version (*testing purpose only – for I am not targeting browsers)
http://facecjf.com/R505/

Desktop Versions

NW 10.5 32bit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lp2g2nait62icy/R505_NW105.zip?dl=0

NW 12 64bit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp8dlez47h34nfr/R505_NW12.zip?dl=0

Next order of business is to start on some more level design. :)
Image Image Image
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests