Boxtory|2D Platformer [DevLog]

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make your dream action platformer game effortlessly with this template!
  • Searching for Prototype testers. Just write a PN.

Prototype Download:

Boxtory Prototype

I would be verry happy if you fill out the Prototype survey too:

The Survey

Boxtory

Hello everyone,

First i think i want to say, that you can just write a comment although you dont want to follow the thread. Because this would help me a lot. On site two are deatils about the attack System for People want to improve the gameplay. So now have fun with the thread.

General:

The game is a 2D platformer only for pc. Ít base on other casual platformers. So a lot of enimies and traps you know from other games like super Mario. But there are also big diffrents in the gameplay. I make the game only by myself (just for the graphics i must look). For me its important that many ideas of other devs will be included, because i think the indie devs must help each other. Also the game will be a combination with the puzzle genre

Story:

The Story is about a Robot. He is working in factory wich produce boxes and cartons (important for the gameplay). But the bosses of the factory are verry evil, so its verry hard work. One day our Little Robot decides to run away from the factory. But of course the bosses and their Little asiistants want to catch him. On his way he meets other Roboters. So he want to save them too. On his way he come threw diffrent factorys (worlds in the game).

--> i know its not the best storry but in combination with Comic art could be cute

Gameplay:

The gameplay is verry casual. There are of course traps like Spikes, the Little assistants or falling blocks. You spawn in a world and just must jump threw the Level. BUT there are also big diffrents: Because of the puzzle. Like i said the boxes are important for the gameplay. You can place them everywhere with a cooldown. And just if you use them right you can win. On the way you get more and more boxes. That should bring the Player to Play longer. Diffrent boxes:

• carton: you can jump on but enemies can destroy it
    • Trampoline: you can jump higher
    • Hard box: reflects damage
    • weapon box: attacks enemys
    • Dynamite box: can destroy blocks

Graphic:

To time there are just bad graphics for the prototype. ALL graphics will be made new after the prototype. The graphic style will be a modern funny Comic style. Maybe in vector design. But im not good in designing so i must look how to manage that.

Plan:

• Prototype: 1-3 weeks (bad graphics, foundation programmed)
    • Alpha: 2-4 months (all graphics, everything nessecary programmed)
    • Beta: 3-5 months (feauteres added)
    • Release: 6-7 months (everything awesome xD)

Infos:

Prototype is coming in a few days- 2 weeks

People helped a lot (here Comes everyone had godd ideas, usw.)

• Thr111, he was the first person helped my realy a lot to start and improved the whole gameplay. So thank you a lot!
    • mercuryus, he was the secound Person helped me. He helps me so much and every comment from him motivates me more and more. Also he improves the gameplay and the game design. Hopefully i can give you with the realessed game that back what you invested in the game. Thank you!
    • NN81, he gave me verry much feedback and so he improved the game with his good ideas. His words motivate me a lot. Thank you verry much.

Screenshots:

I know the Quality is not the best but to time i cant Change that.

Test Version:

Comming soon.

At last i want just say thank you a lot for reading the thread. I hope you leave comment. Even if you dont like the game . Just say what you dont like. If somebody saw english mistakes (im not so good in english) just tell it or if you have ideas what to add in this post.

Cryttexx

• Hello,

its really a Little bit disappointing that nobody writes a comment, because every dev knows its hard work. Anyway i want to post my first screenshot. But first i want to say the graphics will all made new if the prototype is ready, so dont look at the graphics... xD

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This sounds like a neat idea - i love the robot theme in games.

Also using enemies behavior from well known platformers is a good idea- speeds up the game learning curve of the player.

Is a more a slow quest adventure like game or a faster action platformer?

Both is worth to create but i think you should not mix it up to much.

Can't wait to give it a try to give more feedback...

• Thank you so verry much for your answer. Sure its nit a fast platformer. The idea is the player stands before a trap and must think what to do next. So i think its more an adventure platformer.

• i like the story ^^

graphic is always a problem > <

personally im solving this difficulty aspect of the developing working with 3D prerendered graphics with Blender, then importing assets into Construct2, sorry my english

• i like the story ^^

graphic is always a problem > <

personally im solving this difficulty aspect of the developing working with 3D prerendered graphics with Blender, then importing assets into Construct2, sorry my english

Thank you for your answer. Yes graphic isnt my Talent. xD But maybe one of my friends (he is verry good at art) can make some things for me.

• Here is a gif of my Dialog box. I will update the Dialog box soon. Than there will be a Little Picture of the Person who talks. And again dont look at the graphics. I will make them all new. xD If someone likes the dialogbox and wants to know how it works, just say it and i will make a tutorial. It works with XML. And sorry for the Quality but i cant Change that to time.

• First Little enemy. XD But there will come many diffrent soon. If somebody wants to know what is exactly plant for the next week just write it.

• little enemy robot it's very nice! ^^

• little enemy robot it's very nice! ^^

Thanks for your Feedback. There will come many other enemies soon.xD

• its really a Little bit disappointing that nobody writes a comment

That's weird, I did post a comment with links, but it's not here now. Maybe some glitch with the website made it not post correctly, because I keep getting logged out every now and then.

Anyway, I commented how your story reminded me a little bit of Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, which is a great game.

And I also commented that if you needed graphics for the prototype, you could look at using Kenney's Art Assets, but I see now you already have decent enough graphics with which to prototype.

Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged if people don't post.

• Thank you verry much for your answer. The assets look really nice. Thank for that!

• he's alive - great job!

Kenney's Art Assets is a good idea - this way you have an uniform look.

Do the robot (main character) can jump?

• he's alive - great job!

Kenney's Art Assets is a good idea - this way you have an uniform look.

Do the robot (main character) can jump?

Of course he can. Because otherwise he couldnt come onto the boxes. Do you want a long comment where i tell everything about the boxes and the attack system?

• ...if it's not the challenge of the game to discover the robots mechanic (what would be a nice idea) then i'm quite interrested!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)