Rollercoaster Tycoon style game - should I continue?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:42 pm

I've worked on a Rollercaster Tycoon style game, standard theme park - place some rides, some mechanics involving guests and research etc etc. My question is, now it's hit a prototype point, should I continue it? Is anyone going to buy it if I push through and make it for release on Steam etc? I'm interested to see what people think about the market on these type of games and should I even be trying to go for this genre. Maybe adding a load of DLC packs would work, or a unique theme.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Message: erdrickgr can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
Planet Coaster made the top 50 on Steam in 2016 http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2016_top_sellers/ "as measured by gross revenue", and there have been recent hits like Prison Architect, so there must be some kind of market for the business or building style strategy/simulation games. I'm certainly interested in games along these lines...
B
S

Post » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:41 am

I would love to see a game where you can build your own coasters, or even a game where you can "ride" pre-made coasters. I don't know what roller coaster tycoon is though (I've heard of it but never played it). Is that more like a simulated theme park where you make decisions to make money etc?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Burvey wrote:I would love to see a game where you can build your own coasters, or even a game where you can "ride" pre-made coasters. I don't know what roller coaster tycoon is though (I've heard of it but never played it). Is that more like a simulated theme park where you make decisions to make money etc?

Interesting idea building roller coasters!

I have done train sandbox games but a roller coaster would be cool and more interesting for younger players that probably have never seen a train or played with train sets.

I may have to try something like that.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Not sure about the tycoon games idea. I have never been interested in setting up that sort of game because I have run real businesses my entire life though I do know some people like those games.

I do like Burvey's idea for a roller coaster and theme park design game using ready made components.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:25 pm

Burvey wrote:I would love to see a game where you can build your own coasters, or even a game where you can "ride" pre-made coasters. I don't know what roller coaster tycoon is though (I've heard of it but never played it). Is that more like a simulated theme park where you make decisions to make money etc?

Yeah it's more of a decision making game where you do build the theme park but you have to do it in a strategic money making way. There is an open world option though where you can just build a park for fun without objectives. Theme Park World on the Playstation had a feature where you could ride the rollercoasters you built in first person, Tycoon probably has it but can't recall. Rollercoaster tycoon does have enough options to make it pretty much seem that you are building your own rollercoaster, you can place the tracks where you want and set the colour, theme, name, speed, carriage type and size etc etc. Mechanics for riding a 3d coaster is going to be pretty tough in C2 haha, even simulating it in 2D sounds difficult. Also see one of the above posts, the game Planet Coaster on Steam looks like it is doing well and has this kind of thing in full 3D.
Last edited by plinkie on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:27 pm

lamar wrote:Not sure about the tycoon games idea. I have never been interested in setting up that sort of game because I have run real businesses my entire life though I do know some people like those games.

I do like Burvey's idea for a roller coaster and theme park design game using ready made components.

Ya that is pretty much what Rollercoaster Tycoon allows. I'm weighing up my options, looking for feedback because obviously it's been done before but was thinking perhaps I could put a different edge on it or use another theme whilst maintaining use of the construction mechanics.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:29 pm

erdrickgr wrote:Planet Coaster made the top 50 on Steam in 2016 http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2016_top_sellers/ "as measured by gross revenue", and there have been recent hits like Prison Architect, so there must be some kind of market for the business or building style strategy/simulation games. I'm certainly interested in games along these lines...

Ah yes, Prison Architect looks more like a doable thing in C2. Planet Coaster far too complex and 3D for me to make on my own in C2 haha. I guess people are still playing the genre then...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:24 am

Hmm I might alter the mechanics and turn it into an RTS...everyone loves tanks blowing up huge towers.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:47 am

Don't forget Theme Hospital, http://www.myabandonware.com/game/theme-hospital-2ek

It's now an abandonware, I really enjoyed playing this game.
Could be done using C2.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas