RPG game help

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:40 pm

I am trying to make a rpg game but I cant find any artwork or resources to use. Help would be appreciated but it would be double if I could have a capx example. i am using the free version of construct 2. Thanks in advance! ;)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:52 am

I don't have resources I can really provide other than you may want to see some of the art resources in the rpg maker (vx/vx ace/xp) communities. To get you started, you'll likely want to use the 8-direction movement behavior on your character. If you're new to development, I recommend using the tilemap plugin and build your maps out of tiles like that. You'll need to familiarize yourself with arrays (or dictionaries) in-game for handling the large amount of data in most rpg's, and you'll need to come up with a good state-management system for yourself if you're going to make a battle system. It is no small task, but it's very rewarding to see it start to come together. I can't really provide a capx--I don't think mine would help greatly anyways since the game has gotten so large. I wouldn't expect anyone to pour through 2,500 or so events to learn things. But that also brings up a limitation you'll have with the free version--you can only use 100 events.

Perhaps a nice route to go would be to make a few small prototype-style games (one to prototype moving around a town, one to prototype battles, one to prototype menu systems, etc) and take what you learn from those for creating the full opus.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:19 pm

you may want to see some of the art resources in the rpg maker (vx/vx ace/xp) communities

I have had a bad experiance with rpg maker but i looked for sprites and all i found were sounds! Thx anyways
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:35 pm

r2cvv wrote:
you may want to see some of the art resources in the rpg maker (vx/vx ace/xp) communities

I have had a bad experiance with rpg maker but i looked for sprites and all i found were sounds! Thx anyways

I said look in the rpg maker communities. Ie, forums. People there make endless spritesheets, tile sets, backdrops, and then whole generators for sprites.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:02 pm

@r2cvv

You won't be able to build a full rpg battle system with only 100 events unfortunately. A demo maybe, but once again it would be very limited. Is this your first construct2 project? Do you have any programming experience?

If this is your first construct 2 project and you have no prior programming experiences, then I think you should start with a smaller project till you get a better understanding of how C2 works.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:22 pm

@retrodude I know some java and html and this is not my 1st project with construct 2 and btw i have a battle system set up i just need the player moving done

@c-7 I have looked on le fourms and i could only find sounds
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:13 pm

opengameart or rpgmakerweb likely have what you need
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:26 pm

I need to know the concept rpgmakerweb is all python or ruby
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:11 pm

There's great RPG-ready pixelart there nonetheless.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:59 pm

Srry for not noticing that but opengameart is great. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier! :shock:
B
S
G

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas