RPG in C2

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Easy to use shop and inventroy populated by an array!
  • Has anyone had any success making an rpg base of some sort?

If so, post results!

• I too, am interested in this.

• I'm sure it's possible, but given it's a big project and C2 hasn't been around all that long, I'm not sure anyone's made one yet.

• I don't see why it can't be done even at ths early stage, we have Arrays which is great for use in RPG's, Really most RPG's are Variable and Array run to store and retrieve the data,

Mouse Over and click work great together so far and goto mousex,y works ok, so the main parts for an RPG are there just waiting for someone to build one.

• I've never used arrays myself, and I just looked through the tutorial for it. How exactly would one use them in an RPG? What are they useful for?

Sorry for the newbie-ish question.

• We need families first before an RPG is realistic. I hear those will be implemented soon, though. :D

• Haha Arrays stump quite a few people but they are not that difficult once you start to use them, Basically to put it as easy as i can to understand, it's like a table/grid of data, so can be used for inventory stuff as well as alot of other stuff, and you can have small arrays or large depending on what your doing.

Say you want to store data for an inventory or set of item's for your player lets say 5 items you can have a grid/table 1x5 to store the data in.

so in that array you could store Health,Money,Wood,Gold,Potions, etc you get the idea now, arrays can store numbers or text (int or string).

there's some basic info here scirra.com/tutorials/40/basic-loops-and-arrays

hope this helps a bit..

• We need families first before an RPG is realistic. I hear those will be implemented soon, though. :D

Well i'm new to Construct so haven't really experienced the use of families, what do they do..? are they like Giving certain things like categories..? so apples,meat,bread would belong to FOOD category and Wood,Rock,Metal would belong to Materials...?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yep, so instead of writing code for each of your friendly units, you can write one piece of code for all friendly units. Trust me - they're necessary to make an RPG a realistic project.

• tonycrew: So is it just a way of making things more organized? Because one could just use separate variables, right? Or is it like they display graphics as well. I think I heard something about using arrays to create levels, but that's in XNA for C# so I'm not sure if that's applicable here.

• Well it depends on the system your using, i'm not sure of the fullness of arrays in Construct, but yeh it's a good way or organising, i myself haven't used them much since.... years ago in C++ when i was at college. if you was coding in a language, arrays can be used in whatever way you choose to use them.

They are efficient as well, my son uses them in MMF2 Dev to make level editors and load and save prgress in games, and yes you can create levels with them, but like i said i dunno how much you can do in C2 with them, i ain't used them myself.

But for RPG arrays are used alot, i myself have done rpg type games using variables, but say you had a multiplayer game online with alot of users, arrays are better for storing each players data... TBH i'm not an expert and there's better people on here who can give you more info.

• Yep, so instead of writing code for each of your friendly units, you can write one piece of code for all friendly units. Trust me - they're necessary to make an RPG a realistic project.

Well that suites me i hate arrays anyway.. hehe :)

• Has anyone had any success making an rpg base of some sort?

If so, post results!

Define an RPG. I am creating a sort of click and play adventure similar to Shadowgate (in fact I use the SG graphics until I make my own) with a dash of Final Fantasy and Runescape mixed in.

• A simple RPG would be such as overworld games. Look it up.

Ranging from NES, GB/C, DS, PSP and much much more.

• I would think that a game like Dragon Warrior would be fairly simple to do. In fact, I'm pretty certain of it. The hardest part would be random enemy encounters which could be set by something like character->moves (x) number of pixels -> system -> go to layout battle7.

The game's engine could easily be run by events with conditions, items handled by instance variables and stats controlled with global variables.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)