RPG in C2

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:03 am

Well it depends on the system your using, i'm not sure of the fullness of arrays in Construct, but yeh it's a good way or organising, i myself haven't used them much since.... years ago in C++ when i was at college. if you was coding in a language, arrays can be used in whatever way you choose to use them.

They are efficient as well, my son uses them in MMF2 Dev to make level editors and load and save prgress in games, and yes you can create levels with them, but like i said i dunno how much you can do in C2 with them, i ain't used them myself.

But for RPG arrays are used alot, i myself have done rpg type games using variables, but say you had a multiplayer game online with alot of users, arrays are better for storing each players data... TBH i'm not an expert and there's better people on here who can give you more info.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:07 am

[QUOTE=Arima] Yep, so instead of writing code for each of your friendly units, you can write one piece of code for all friendly units. Trust me - they're necessary to make an RPG a realistic project.[/QUOTE]

Well that suites me i hate arrays anyway.. hehe :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:48 am

[QUOTE=PartyBoat] Has anyone had any success making an rpg base of some sort?
If so, post results![/QUOTE]

Define an RPG. I am creating a sort of click and play adventure similar to Shadowgate (in fact I use the SG graphics until I make my own) with a dash of Final Fantasy and Runescape mixed in.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:47 pm

A simple RPG would be such as overworld games. Look it up.
Ranging from NES, GB/C, DS, PSP and much much more.
B
G

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:22 pm

I would think that a game like Dragon Warrior would be fairly simple to do. In fact, I'm pretty certain of it. The hardest part would be random enemy encounters which could be set by something like character->moves (x) number of pixels -> system -> go to layout battle7.
The game's engine could easily be run by events with conditions, items handled by instance variables and stats controlled with global variables.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:44 pm

RPG's are a notorious genre - possibly the most notorious - for being deceptive about how difficult they are to code. They seem simple looking from the outside, but when you actually try to code one, even a simple one, it turns out to be a monumental(ly complex) task with tons of interconnected systems that all have to play nice together.

RPGs are probably the second hardest genre to make, second only to MMOs!

I'm not sure from a development standpoint that there even is such a thing as a simple RPG. And while it could be done, trust me, I can tell you from experience of having tried to make a 'simple' RPG (it turned out to be not-so-simple) without families - it's possible, but you really don't want to! Had I known how to use families properly from the start, it would have saved me literally an entire year of development time! It's worth waiting for families to be implemented, since they're in the works already.Arima2011-10-13 18:45:46
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:08 pm

What Arima said.

Also... Arrays are adequate for storing values for stats and whatnot, but for stuff like data entry, it's freaking tedious. Proper data structures (like the 'S' plugin Lucid made for Construct Classic) would alleviate that heavily, and be much easier to organize.

An XML object would be a godsend too, btw.Candescence2011-10-13 19:09:08
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:19 pm

As this falls in quite well with my current game I will sit down this evening and implement a few levels similar to a Dragon Warrior style RPG.

I will also try my hand at designing a simple graphical CYOA style game. If it works well I will post the capx.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:01 pm

I have been making RPGs for a long time, I started with RPG Maker '95 all the way to 2k3, then I switched to RPG Toolkit, but was too buggy and lacked support. sO then came MMF2, I have made RPG systems there, not that difficult. But I think I can say this, cos I've been doing it for a long time. Although, I never used arrays, I have mixed feelings about them: I like them, cos of the sorting capabilities and the organization, but I dislike them lots, cos it's a pain in the neck to have to remember the positions of items. MMF2 has this great array, where you can name the cells basically, so you are using an array with named items, which to me, it was much easier to remember and organize. RPGs do not NEED arrays, but can benefit greatly from them, I just do not like them for the reason stated above. Variables are much easier to use for me. RPGs however, like someone else said, need "Families" or "Classes", this is useful for everything in an RPG, from the mapping system, to item management. Yer dev. time will cut down an immeasurable lot with them!

I am currently working on an RPG as well, a JRPG kind, like Dragon Warrior, but not exactly like that. Side-view battle system, like old school Final Fantasies and quite long. Haven't started it yet, cos I am waiting for C2 to get more stuff in it, specially an EXE export, cos it's a little too big for a web game. But this is my particular case, you can still make an RPG right now, but I would suggest to wait for Families/Classes to join the party.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:34 pm

[QUOTE=VampyricalCurse]Haven't started it yet, cos I am waiting for C2 to get more stuff in it, specially an EXE export, cos it's a little too big for a web game. But this is my particular case, you can still make an RPG right now, but I would suggest to wait for Families/Classes to join the party. [/QUOTE]

This. Construct Classic has everything you need to make a RPG, but has a few stability issues (apparently) with huge games, like RPGs... So if you're interested in making one with C2, there's no doubt that everything you need will be added in time. Just got to wait.

And while you're waiting, there's nothing to stop you creating all of your art assets, writing the backstory, the lore, the main quest, exploring your characters etc etc. You've got a good year or two yet I imagine, which is plenty of time to have everything ready, allowing you to blitz straight into the engine without worrying about creating the resources ;)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General